Review by Layzie Liu

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 04/26/01

An awesome RPG with 60+ hours of pure fun and excitement.

Allow me to first describe Xenogears as an awesome RPG with 60+ hours of pure fun and excitement. This game will literally glue your butt to the seat and keep your eyes locked onto the screen! Xenogears is about a mysterious organization which manipulates the tides of a century-long war between two great nations by the use of an ancient technology-giant mechanical robots otherwise known as Gears. An unsuccessful attempt to steal one of these powerful weapons places it in the hands of Fei Fong Wong and a few of his other courageous allies. With this new possession, the unwilling Fei is then dragged into a conflict between the military powers of both waring countries as well as his own forgotten and unknown past. The story goes into greater depth as you unlock key events throughout the game reveiling a much more complicated and shocking story that has been locked away in the darkness of humankind's long and unknown history.

The controls for Xenogears are like any other RPG game created by Squaresoft such as Final Fantasy VII. They are easy to understand as well as learn. But what makes Xenogears different from any other kind of RPG game are its unique combo and deathblow fighting systems. These allow you to input more than one attack command while fighting and allows your character to unleash an awesome string of attacks. What's even better is that you can learn new ones by inputting different types of attack commmands. With seven different characters to execute these types of deathblow skills and 12+ skills to learn for each of them, there are tones of possible combinations! Even better is that you can either battle in the massive mechanical weapons called Gears or hand-to-hand with your characters! This allows different styles of fighting to the battles and adds to the fun of it all. All of these new features are very easy to learn and master, and takes Xenogears one step closer to being the ultimate RPG game!

The music and sound capabilites in the game are incredible. Well, what do you expect from Squaresoft! All I can say about the music in Xenogears is that you must listen to it yourself and you will see what I am talking about. The graphics aren't much to expect out of from a Squaresoft game but by god, they are good enough! What makes up for it all is the stunning hand-drawn animation sequences throughout the game that adds to the complexity and futuristic look of the amazing storyline.

To make it easy to understand, you must buy this game! This RPG has the potential of being even better than Final Fantasy VII and maybe even Final Fantasy VIII now! I'm not saying that it is, but it sure quite possibly does to some people including me. Okay, enough with this already. If you don't believe me, go and try it out for yourself because I'm willing to bet my life (not literally) that you'll like it! But seriously, Xenogears is yet another one of Squaresoft's masterpieces and is also yet another good reason for people to own a Sony PlayStation!