Review by MBeddingfield

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 04/26/01

The best RPG ever, this is the one you have been waiting for.

Xenogears is like no other game on the Playstation. When I pop in Metal Gear Solid I'm expecting a cool game where I get to shoot people. When I pop in FF7 I'm ready to play a game with fantasy (obviously). The keyword there is game. Xenogears is much more than just a game. It is an experience like no other. When I pop in Xenogears it's like warping to another world. I feel as though I am actually there, which is what the goal for every video game should be. The characters act natural and you never for a second go to a scene that totally mis-shapes the story (like in FF7 when you go to Yuffi's town, or somethin like that). The story is perfectly well rounded, very complex, and it will take you at least two times through to fully receive it.

Now to go on to different catagories. Like music, sound, gameplay, control, etc. I will start with graphics. The graphics in Xenogears are amazing. You may not see it from the sometimes funky characters but the backdrops and the FMV are great. The gears look colorful when hit and are probably the best in game graphics you'll see in Xenogears. While it's not landmark like FF7's are, it still is above average. The FMV rivals that of FF7.

The music in the game is probably the best in any game. From the very beginning introduction (translated to Blue Justice...bad translation I guess) to the very ending, the game is riddled with lot's of melody's that will have you suspenseful, angry, sad, or even happy. This is the best music you will find in a game today.

The story. This is the one catagory that stands out among the others. Not only does it have the best story in video games, it has one of the best story's ever. The beginning starts out happy and careless. Things hit a drastic turn and sooner or later, it will catch on to you that this story is very addictive. At the end you will have questions, trust me you will. Just go back over the game again (and possibly again) and they will probably be answered. I played through the game 7 times (!), 3 on the japanese, 4 on the american version. It was just as good the 7th time as the 1st time.

Overall, this game is the best game on the Playstation today and one of the best games you can buy. If you have a Playstation this is a must buy, go buy it today, you will not be dissapointed. I have the soundtrack, the american version, the japanese version, 2 guides on it (that are on gamefaqs), and now this, you should know that I love this game, and that you must drop everything and get it.