Review by JLindsey

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 04/26/01

Xenogears Review

I would have to say that Xenogears is one of the best role-playing games I have ever seen. Having played RPGs of every genre and on every game system, it is fairly hard to impress me. Xenogears, however, did so for two main reasons. The first is that Xenogears has the most intricate plotline I've ever seen. Xenogears delves into so many unexpected twists and turns throughout the entire game, solving many mysteries as you progress through but opening up even more. Every time I finally take a break from this game, all I can keep thinking is 'wow'. The first disk took me roughly 50 hours, with very little down-time. There is excellent interaction between all of the characters, and so many surprise twists that it would be impossible to ever list them all. The second reason I feel as though this game deserves a 10 is the fact that it incorporates many different elements that make an RPG special. Multiple types of combat, including a fighting game-based battle arena, use of gears, normal hand-to-hand fighting, and an interesting card game (but fun), you must keep yourself well-equipped in many different aspects. Also, you enjoy travel by many different methods, using a desert cruiser, a submarine, and an airship throughout your journey. New opportunities arise at every town to explore small sub-plots and discover hidden items. Things done at the beginning of the game can yield very powerful items at the end. Several items are obtainable only at certain times, which can also make you want to play through the entire game again. To top it off, the entire story is tied together with several scenes of anime, totalling over 20 minutes worth, and many other movie scenes, as well as cutscenes showing plots arising and plans being set forth from the enemy's point of view. All in all, this game has everything an RPG fan could ever want, and more than you would ever expect.