Review by hardlife

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 04/26/01

Absolutely the best RPG i ever played

When i started playing Xenogears, i was immediately hooked. First, was got me hooked wasthe awesome story that instantly got me absorbed. The most important thing i wantin an RPG is a good story that will have me reading on and on, and Xenogears satisfied me themost. The game kept me on my playstation the whole december holidays and i only completed it in February.This story is about a young boy called Fei which was brought to Lahan many years ago by a stranger. Since his villages destruction by an accidental Gear(giant robot) crash, Fei meets Elly by chance and then the story develops on how he learns more of his past and his growing love for Elly. It is quite sad in many parts but the story has many twists and is easy to follow. The other characters are very interestingand unique. Most of them have a sad past and as the game progresses, you will learn more about them. Each of them have their own special abilities and Gears. Xenogears has everything in an RPG. The fighting is solid, in hand to hand battles, you must figure out different comboswith the different buttons. Fighting in a Gear is one of the most satisfying moments in any game. Fighting in a giant robotis just so fun that you probably want to build all your characters to level 99. Some boss fights are extremely difficult. NoEmerald WEAPON but the must-fight bosses are tough and can only be defeated by using certain strategies, but the extreme satisfaction is there when u defeat some of the hardest bosses in the game.Tons of side quests , i especially like the Battle arena which is like some Tekken game where two Gears slug it out. The graphics are a bit muddy and could be better. However the animations are fabulous and beautifully drawnThe music is one of the best i've ever heard in a game. There are happy songs during many joyous moments, and sad songs that almost had me in tears. Once u finish the game you'd probably want to complete it again. There are so many secrets that you couldn'tpossibly find everything the first time through.Overall this game was the best i ever played and the 70++ hrs and the 50 bucks were more than well worth it.