Review by Golden

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 04/26/01

ohhhh mama

Oh sweet mercy. Xenogears was a great game. The graphics are beautiful. The music is nice and usually fit the situation. The only problem I had with it was that I had no clue what the hell happened. The story may have been one of the most confusing things I've ever seen. And I watched Evangelion! And I was more confused by Xeno than by that great series. I know they both have a whole lot of similarities, but I'm not going to go into that now. First let's start on the graphics of this masterpiece. Great graphics. The sprites were not really super deformed. If you don't know what I mean, ummm, sorry. Any ways, the character looked the same whether they were walking around a dungeon, or fighting a boss. The only change in the character's look while walking around is when they are in their Gear. And that was also very sweet. The gears were awesome. They were huge, and very detailed. I loved how Fei's gear evolved throughout the game. Also, on the topic of graphics, let's talk about cutscenes. The fact that they used both anime and Computer Generated scenes were great. Both were of the highest quality. Only problem was the english dubbing, and that was to be expected. The only glitch in the graphics that I could find is the profile of Grahf. In the text box when they show someone talking, they also showed kind of a mug shot. Everyone's was clear but his, that thing that was pointing out of his head looked like a nose with something hanging off of it, but I don't think that's what it really was. I don't know. If anyone can help me with that, send me an email. The music was also great. It always fit the setting and mood of where you were. The only music that bugged me was that one desert town in the beginning of the game. Not that it didn't go with the idea or anything, it was just really annoying. All that yelling and everything. It wasn't pleasant. Oh yeah, and the battle system was great. It was so different, yet it wasn't that hard. The combo idea was sweet and really helped juice up an attack. It also made battles a lot more entertaining and added a new challenge to learn all the combos. Oh, and don't let me forget about the Gear battles too. This I didn't like too much. Maybe it's just my taste in games, but I didn't really like how the system worked for the Gears. It's not that it wasn't good, it just wasn't my style. But it definitely added a challenge to the game. That's about it for now. Other than a few parts of the story that are just inconceivable, and the funky Gear battles, I loved this game. I would definitely suggest getting it if you haven't already. Well done Squaresoft, well done.