Review by CWhite

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 04/26/01

Is it FFVII? No. Is it close? No. Is it really, really good? Yes.

When I first started playing this, I was transfixed. An incredible anime intro, a huge battle with even bigger mechs. But then I started playing the actual game. It wasn't too long before I discovered some minor quirks (usually annoying camera, way too many fights, pixelated sprites). Throughout the game, I was reminded of Final Fantasy VII. It brought back so many memories of the game that I actually took a break from Xenogears and played through the entire game of FFVII.

Although very unique, the deathblow system isn't all to great. In fact, I prefer FFVII's deathblow system. Why? Because you have to input a deathblow sequence over and over in fights before you get it (which means you may be entering the wrong sequence) and a lot of the enemies are too powerful and you'll have to use your deathblows. I don't really like the magic system either - your characters are already configured for their own spells, which means that you can't have all the magic you want when you want it. Plus you can't do summons!! :(

As for gears, well . . . The thing is they're so hard to manage. You may have less than 1000 HP on the gear, and the only way to repair it is use the special option FixFrameHP, which takes up fuel in the thousands. If there were some easier way to take care of them (like repair gears all over the place) I'd prefer the gears.Of course, this is an RPG, and the story is by far the most important part of an RPG. That's where XG really comes through. It's simply amazing, take my word for it. Now I'm not going to spoil it, so you go ahead and buy the game and see the story for yourself. It's worth it.