Review by jnr wonderful

Reviewed: 02/22/03 | Updated: 02/22/03

One of a Kind!

The title says it all about Mayhem, 'One of a kind'.

Possibly the best WCW game on a PSone. I got this game for $10 and it was worth every cent. It is just that damn good.

Graphics 7/10

The graphics on Mayhem are reasonable. Most of the characters look like there real-life counterparts with a few exceptions. Bret Hart looks too chiseled, for example. The ring is good but it doesn't even come close to being as good as the Smackdown! 2 ring. But minor graphic details put it past Attitude's. I'm talking about how when your opponent hits the ground near the ropes, the ropes move. Yet, when you do this in the centre of the ring they don't. Now that's detail. But the crowd looks bad and the backstage arenas aren't as good as the ones in Smackdown! 2 or Backstage Assault.

Sound 9/10

The commentary in Mayhem is better than Thunder, Warzone, Attitude, etc. It really makes the game more enjoyable. The effects of your opponent hitting the mat combined with the crowd make the arena sound empty, but by going to the 'Global Options' on the Main Menu you can change this. Also you make the pop received for entrances actually seem like people are interested. The entrance music is well done, minus the fact you can't get Booker T's or Chris Benoit's. But characters are grouped by factions so you can't expect to much.

Gameplay 9/10

The controls are very easy to pick up and after about 20 minutes of learning them anyone could play. Smackdown! 2 seems to be based on the same principle so these two titles are very similar. The speed of the moves pulled off didn't seem too slow on my PSone, but it may be different on an old PSX.

The Roster 8/10

The roster is extremely well formatted with the grouping principle being used in the WCW for the first time <I'm not sure about WCW Vs. The World so don't complain.) The roster even includes characters who have had as little airtime as Bobby Duncam Jr. But as with all WCW games, it features useless things like Stevie Ray, Prince Iaukea and Steve McMichael. But overall a good roster.

Rent or Buy

I recommend following what I did - rent first then spend two to three months trying to find it in a shop. But if you like WCW a lot, just buy it. You won't be disappointed.