Review by Munch

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 11/01/99

A good golf game but not as good as the Actua Golf series

The sun in your eyes, the newly cut grass. The feel of smacking a ball 200 yards with a Big Bertha. Sounds good eh. Well, Tiger Woods '99 doesn't exactly have all that. When you first pop in the game, you think, Wow, this game is cool, but once you play it, you begin to notice that it is not very visually appealing. First of all, the screen jerks so much that you begin to get sick. Second, the character are so badly done that you can tell they were done on a blue screen. This game is nowhere close to the popular Actua Golf series. Here is just another product made by EA sports that they put together overnight. Now, what I don't understand is how they can make this golf game without any course layout or fly by options. How are you supposed to know where to hit the ball? Another thing is that your shot selection is limited to a straight shot. There are no fades, or lobs, or anything like at. If you want to buy a realistic golf simulation game, you're better off getting one of the Actua Golfs.

I would also like to add the fact about the music. I don't know what music should be played, but it should be better than what they have in TW99. If EA was going to make such a crummy game, they should have at least put some good commentary in it. I mean it's ridiculous what they have. All it is is Tiger saying "Oh man" and "What a shot". This game is a mockery of all Golf cimulations. If you really need to have this game just for the label and because Tiger is on the box, I reccomend getting it for the PC. The PC version is at least ten times better than the PSX version. All in all, Tiger Woods '99 is an alright game but needs to be tweeked a little bit (namely the graphics, and commentary.)