Review by ARemington

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 07/05/02

Medievil is a beautiful, creative, wacky romp through one of Playstation's best games.

Let me start off by telling you about what I had heard about the game: it was way to short. After playing it, I must disagree. The first thing you notice about the game is its beautiful graphics. From the bright Scarecrow Fields to the dark and dreary Haunted Ruins, the game is brought to life by the rich and lush graphics. Green-spewing fountains of rejuvination and and the splash of water look nothing short of incredible. I really can't impress upon you the brilliance of the graphics.

Next up is the audio. It is a wonderfully orchestrated game, with every tune setting you in the mood for the level. Music is rarely repeated through the game, and so you never know what you are going to hear, although you know it will just be wonderful. Like the graphics, I give the audio a large round of applause.

The third thing I would like to talk about is the story. It is beautifully setup, with Sir Daniel Fortesque being the protagonist of the story and Zarok being the arch villain.The fake hero gig Sir Daniel has is just rockin', I must say. There is just no way you can go wrong with the story that is told.

Finally, and most importantly, is the gameplay. Although it sounds cliche, you can very well compare Medievil to the classic Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and very few games can boast that. You run,jump and slash your way through the absorbing lands of Gallowmere. You must collect chalices in order to access the Hall of Heroes, which in turn allows you to wield new weapons and the like against the game's many bosses. That leads me to the next thing, the enemies you will face. The game's foes are your average zombies and skeletons, but thats about where you can leave the word average. Soon you find yourself fighting scarecrows,imps with pitchforks, flying demons, and many more. The bosses of the game are wonderfully creative, with you starting out against a stained glass demon, but then you move on to more of them, but I won't give anything away. However I will say that the boss of the flying ghostship is absolutely amazing. There is a ton of replay value in the game, with the chalices and abundant secret areas. It took me about two and a half weeks to finish the game. However, you will want to replay the game just to see the amazing locations and bosses again. Well, I can't tell you how much I adore this game. It deserves to be among the playstation's top games. Well, what are you wating for? Go out and get it!