Review by Myyyyyyk

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 07/05/02

Read this review...THEN read the praise.

Do you like wondering around with excellent graphics and control?

It quickly becomes apparant of how ALOT of work was put into this game. Especially to keep it from being plagued from common problems like cameras and charactor control. In Soul Reaver, these problems simply, do not exist. However, they left out and important quality that a game requires to be playable and that is fun.

From the first encounter with an enemy, I fell in love with the battle system. It was perfectly executed and very fun to work with. But there was less and less battle and more and more wandering around as I progressed. Hours on end, I've spent trying to find where I had to be next, where those puzzles were! I kept going only to see how rediculously long it would take me to finish this sucker, which was supposed to be a 30 hour game. Indeed it WAS a 30 hour game, 25 of which you'll spend wandering around like in tomb raider, the rest was strategizing against the game's tough bosses.

The story DOES NOT live up to it's predicessor's, in fact it doesn't even come close. A shame, the game looked and played (when it was playing) so beautifully, that I wished the entire game was more of an action game like fighting force (only good). That would have brought this game more success, easily. Rent the game, try the battleing, you'll know what I'm talking about.

For those of you who are good at or enjoy wandering around like you did in those awful Tomb Raider games, BUY it now. For the rest of you, rent first.