Review by ChaosStar290

Reviewed: 08/23/16

A 2.5 Dream Come True

As a kid, platformers were my thing in the gaming days of old. Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby Sonic, Mega Man, Banjo-Kazooie, just to name some favorites. I pretty much ignored everything else around the PS1 era. In fact, I never even heard of Crash or Spyro until my friends told me about them.

Around the year of 2007, I grabbed a disc that had a demo of Klonoa 2. My friend had a PS2, and my parents and I moved into a aparment not too long ago (all my games and systems were in storage, except for my DS). I decided to place the game inside, and played one of the two levels shown. I started on the basic gameplay level of Klonoa 2, and it definitely got me hooked.

A few months ago, I decided to download a PS emulator, along with the game. After playing through the entire game, I can say that this was definitely a game that made my inner-child self smiling all the way.

Story: Yes, this a platforming game with a plot, and a pretty darn good one at that. The story revolves around cat-like creature named Klonoa, and his best friend Huepow. Klonoa finds an item that fell from the sky called the Wind Ring. Inside it is a Wind Spirit named Huepow, and both became very fast friends. They laughed, played, things kids do.

While the two were playing around the fields of Breezegale Village, a dark cloud could be seen covering the blue skies. All of a sudden, Klonoa wakes up from his bed, realizing it was a dream, with Huepow was floating right in front of the sleepy feline(?). After waking from his slumber, the duo could hear a crashlanding from the hightops of where Klonoa's house was. They both decided to venture out to see what's going on over there. (And this is as far as I'll spoil the story for you guys.)

The plot in general has twist and turns, as well as some very emotional moments. It's a kid-friendly story, but it's told very well to where even older gamers may get some enjoyment out of it. I certainly did. Characters are very charming, with some quirky personalites.

Gameplay: How is plays is that Klonoa's weapon of choice is the Wind Ring, and Huepow being the energy source for it. With it, Klonoa can shoot out Wind Bullets that can inflate most enemies, and Klonoa carries them above his head with ease. He can toss the bloated enemies at other enemies, certain objects, or can be used as a source of a double jump. Klonoa also has huge rabbit-like ears that can let him flutter across short gaps for only a few seconds. It's pretty simple stuff, but the way you use the mechanics can be pretty unique and creative at times. Puzzle solving is also a major thing in the game. While not frustrating, the levels have some very clever ways of using the Wind Ring mechanic for some crafty puzzles.

The game also has bosses, and the bosses appear at the end of the second level of the world (or Visions as the game calls them). Some can be easy, or pretty darn difficult. The game is also 2.5D, and scale of the camera angles while moving forward can be very breath-taking without overdoing it.

Visuals: The game varies from characters having cute sprite designs, or 3D models. It fits the game perfectly, and it offers lots of charm. Though the visials might not be good at this time of day, it's still very easy on the eyes

Sound: This game has some of the best music in any platformer I ever heard. Varying tracks to catchy, intense, or emotional. My personal favorite being Untamed Heart. Characters speak in a gibberish language called Phantomile, which is done very well by Japanese VAs.

Verdict: Make no mistake, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile is a game targeted by a younger audience. Some may be off putted by its cutesy charm, but if you get past that, you'll see a game with a great story, lovable characters, creative levels, catchy music, etc. It's a short, but well-lived adventure. I highly recommend giving it a shot if you're a platform lover like myself.

Product Release: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (US, 06/30/98)