Review by Reviewkid97

Reviewed: 01/30/14

One of the biggest sleeper hits ever

When I first got this game as a birthday gift, I didn't really know what to think of it. After about 10 to 20 minutes of playing it, however, I was hooked, and still am to today. The sad thing is that a lot of gamers don't know about the Klonoa franchise and are missing out on it. Let's take a closer look at one of Namco's biggest hits.

Gameplay: A-
At first glance, Klonoa seems like a generic sidescrolling platform game. It is, and thank goodness! Namco did an excellent job of using the winning platforming formula and adding their own unique twist. Your weapon is apparently an air puff which pulls your enemies toward you and inflates them. I really don't know how to describe it, but it's pretty cool. Tons of variety keep things interesting and keep you playing for a while.

Music/Sound: A+
Klonoa's soundtrack is one of the best on the PS1 and possibly ever. The music is relaxing and calming yet somehow upbeat at the same time. The sound effects are very good and compare favorably to current generation games. Klonoa has some of the catchiest music in video game history and you can't get it out of your head. It's very enjoyable, though, so I don't mind it sticking in my brain forever.

Graphics: B+
Namco implemented "2.5D" graphics into Klonoa, meaning that the foreground is in 2D, while the background scrolls, giving a 3-dimensional effect. The stages are colorful and bright. While fascinating and very creative, it is slightly frustrating when enemies seem to randomly appear from the background. However, the problem is negligible and doesn't really affect the fun.

Difficulty: A-
Klonoa does provide a little challenge towards the later stages, but the game is pretty easy for the most part. The game is primarily suited for kids and isn't terribly difficult, but it isn't a walk in the park, either. Namco did well with the difficulty.

Overall: A (9)
Klonoa is a truly masterful platforming game. It appeals to kids, as well as adults, and has tons of well-designed stages. The graphics are bright, vivid, and colorful, and the 2.5D effect is awesome. The soundtrack is excellent, and you may find yourself humming to some of Klonoa's tunes. An overall excellent game that stands the test of time.

Pros:
Great gameplay
Excellent soundtrack
Creative graphics
Manageable difficulty

Cons:
Can be pricey ($55-60 USD on Ebay)

Product Release: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (US, 06/30/98)