Review by Usagikun

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 11/01/99

It's like reliving "The Dukes Of Hazzard", only without the hillbilly theme.

From the first time it was previewed in Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM), I knew Driver (developed by Reflections, the people who developed Destruction Derby 1 and 2, and released by GT Interactive) was going to be one hell of a game. Now that it's been released, I can honestly say that it has met my expectations.You play Tanner, an ex-racer-turned-cop, who's goes undercover as a getaway driver to try and capture the head of a crime syndicate. The playground? Miami, New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. You can drive around during the day or night (except for LA; all of its missions are night missions). There are also some games where you can practice (or show-off) your driving skills.The control in the game is pretty good, even with a digital pad (which was what I used). The sounds are pretty decent, with cops yelling out every violation you make.

Visuals are top notch, despite some pop-up and polygon break-up. Not to mention the cities are modeled after their real-life counterparts. In other words, if you drove by an apartment building in the Miami level, you'll find it in the real Miami.Now, Driver isn't without it's bad points. For one, the police AI stands to be tweaked just a bit. Being several car-lengths in front of a squad car and hearing the cop say "We lost him" isn't too realistic. Also, your car tends to take just a bit too much damage for little things, and too little for, say, crashing into a tree. Load time is also a bit long. Then again, with all the detail and info that's in the game, I can see why. It still could've been sped up just a notch. There also could've been a few things they could've put into the game to give it some more replay value. For one, a money and upgrade system would be nice. Earn money for doing a mission, use it to upgrade your car or even buy a new one. But that would've defeated the purpose of being an undercover cop. Maybe they'll put in in the sequel.To reiterate, Driver is a great game. Passing all the missions in the game is sure to take quite a while, and it beats out Need For Speeds Hot Pursuit mode for cop aggressiveness. Despite a few problems that don't really hamper gameplay much, it's a keeper. No racing fan, or Playstation fan, for that matter, should be without it.