Review by Tribesmen

Reviewed: 01/03/14

You wanted a fun game focused around parkour? You won't find it here.

TL;DR:
Before I begin, please take a second to read this quote I found from another review. In literally 3 sentences, this reviewer has completely summed up Mirror's Edge.

"It's easily understandable why many reviewers give Mirror's Edge relatively low scores. They buy the game "about parkour", in other words 3D platformer, and expect some challenges inspired by Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time or Psychonauts with lush environments and a quaint story a la Assassin's Creed. They get zilch of it."

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GAME. If you're looking to pick it up anyway, then honestly pick it up on Steam when it costs like $5.

------

Let me do a brief overview. You play as this asian cutie named Faith, and she is a "runner", which is basically a messenger that uses parkour in order to get information to your clients, it is assumed the information is probably illegal because the game takes place in a dystopian futuristic city where information is HEAVILY monitored. Basically, the game is about your sister, who is a cop, gets framed for a murder and now you are public enemy #1 and you are being hunted down all whilst trying to clear your sister's name.

The initial idea of the game, fine. I can handle cheesy cliche storylines, that's no big deal, but what they tried to do was force feed you while all you really want to do is parkour the hell out of a gorgeous city. Whatever, I've played worst storylines, at least it gave a reason why you had to run your ass off all the time.

The music, not bad. Sound effects, not bad. Constantly hearing your character grunt and moan, REALLY DISTRACTING. Realistic, don't get me wrong, but my god I feel bad for people who are attracted to the type of girl Faith is, I couldn't imagine being able to focus long enough just to beat it (the game, badum-tish).

Aesthetically speaking, this game is gorgeous. Everything is clean and white, which is cool, and then you get sudden bright flashes of vibrant color (usually showing areas you need to go to). It would have been great to have a fully colored REAL city, but this game would have been impossible without the colors sticking out to show you where you need to go. It actually does a really good job 80% of the time making things really obvious/intuitive of where you need to go. Major thing that annoyed me, no windowed mode. I alt-tab often, having to restart the game as often as I did because it crashed is really annoying.

I'm going to write a second paragraph for graphics. On a gameplay side, yeah the game is beautiful, but on a cut scene side they flip it and turn into an amazing art-style that really looks good. This is the main reason why I give this game such a high graphics score.

I don't really know how to score this fairly. I remember the commercials, I remember trying this game before. The game looks and was sold to me as a "parkour" game. It barely is. It is like a first-person Assassin's Creed where you can't just climb whatever, you have to find the EXACT thing to climb. The game is SO linear that instead of Assassin's Creed you think "okay maybe it is more like Prince of Persia" except there is no TIME REWIND POWERS. I promise you that you will die the most stupid deaths either from mistimed jumped or the gunfights they force you to participate in. I'm not someone who usually hates police, but in this game, seriously I killed every one I could find. In the training or early level the game preaches about not fighting and trying to just get away, screw that. It is so easy to die in this game it really gets tedious repeating the same thing over and over again.

Honestly my biggest problem is how linear it is. It would have been great to free-roam the city, and I understand how overly ambitious that is for this game, but that would have been AMAZING. The game is more of a deeper, symbolic artstyle than a parkour game, and I get that too, but that was not what I wanted when I played this. The game is relatively short, what took me 8 hours to do was how many times I kept freaking dying.

This game had potential, and in an artistic sense, it is really good. I play on minimal settings and the game STILL looks really pretty. I don't want to go on a huge long rant because I kind of already did slightly. You want a fun game, go play something else because I don't understand how some people can rate this game so high and claim it is good.

Rating:   2.0 - Poor

Product Release: Mirror's Edge (US, 01/13/09)