Review by masterarcha

Reviewed: 04/03/07

4 Years of Hype for This?

The Command and Conquer series invented the RTS. Period. Yeah, there was that Dune business, but C&C is the venerable old grandpa of the genre. The original C&C was the quintessence of a good game: fun, easy to pick up, and innovative. Plus, there was Kane. Red Alert wasn't much of an innovation, but hey, there was more Kane. Tiberian Sun was the long-awaited sequel to C&C. While it was a good game, it certainly didn't live up to the hype. (Remember the trailer from C&C? The one with the walker with the laser that basically wrecked crew on the battlefield? Where was that in TibSun?) The C&C series seemed to be on a downward trend.

And then there was RA2. Yeah, RA2 wasn't a gem graphically, but the game rocked because it was fun and it didn't take itself too seriously. C&C was on top of its game, adding Yuri's Revenge to the mix.

Then came the downfall. Yeah, people liked Renegade and Generals, but something was missing. C&C had lost something vital to itself, and was churning out crappy games and expecting people to get into them.

Finally, years after TibSun, a new Command and Conquer appeared. C&C 3 Tiberium Wars brings the C&C series back to its roots. It has all of the things that made the original C&C a giant of its genre. All except one: it's still missing that intangible thing that made RA2 so popular. So, without further ado, on to the review!

Pretty good. I'm still bummed about Frank Klepacki not doing the music, but whatever. I don't pay much attention to game sounds anyway. I did enjoy hearing some of the original commando lines like "I got a present for ya!"

Okay I know C&C 3 is supposed to be this amazing-looking graphics game. And it is-if you have the PC to run it. I have a 2.7gig Celeron processor, 512 megs of ram, and a Radeon 9200 and it runs like crap on my computer. It's fine until you build a lot of units...then serious lag. Yeah, we all love graphics, but we all can't afford amazing gaming PCs. (Perhaps this is why the next-gen consoles won't sell as well as the current-gen. Just a thought.)

Control: 10/10
Basic RTS controls. I loved the crane adding a new building queue, ditto for building a second barracks/war factory, etc. Stances also help a lot in not having your Pitbulls run off after a group of Avatars.

Here's where i have my major beef. Once you build a decent number of units, the game slows to a crawl. (Yeah, yeah, my comp is a piece. So are half of the computers out there. Give me 500 bucks and I'll have a good one.) The biggest complaint I have is that THERE ARE NO WALLS. I remember plenty of TibSun games where I saved myself with a few well-placed Firestorm walls. But in all their wisdom, EA decided that there would be no walls. Overall, I think C&C 3 has the same feel as TibSun: it's fun for a while, but if you play it for a while, it seems like more of a chore than a game.

Kane!

Okay, I could leave the story there and it would cover my rating. Kane is back after a long C&C absence. The game pares down the ridiculously complicated storyline of TibSun while still keeping the game mythos.

Replay Value: 7/10
I could get into this so much more if it ran faster and if it were more fun. C'est la vie.

I think C&C 3 is a good game, but I don't think it lived up to all of its hype. EA could've spent more time on gameplay and less on making it so graphically impressive. Once again, we have another EA style over substance game.