Game keeps crashing after character creation?

1. I got the game very recently from a friend for Christmas, which was great-- this is the hard copy of the game, unopened. Not the Steam version, or anything. I enjoyed the first one and heard the second one was even better! Fantastic!

...It won't start.

For ages I couldn't even get to the start menu-- everytime I tried to launch the game it would crash immediately. I did some googling and replaced the Mss32.dll in the root of the game, and that got me to the title screen at least. I made my character got ready to play...

And then it crashed again. What can I do to fix this problem? I have Windows Vista, and all the checks to this problem seem to be on either Windows 7 or for the Steam version (and I'm not sure if there's a difference between the hard copy version or the steam version, but don't want to risk screwing up the files on the chance there is).

Anyone with experience with this problem know a fix?

User Info: ColArana

ColArana - 6 years ago

1. There's a large number of possible issues and I don't have time to get into everything, but here's a list of the most likely culprits:

1) Screen Resolution: your moniter does not support whatever resolution the game is set to run in. This can be fixed by editing the .ini file or using the launcher if there is actually an available resolution that will work. Unfortunately this game does not support widescreen resolutions and the "fixes" for this (widescreen gaming forum stuff) don't work well with KOTOR2 but did work flawlessly with the first installment of the series.

2) Compatibility Modes: make sure you try running in multiple compatibility modes. For Win7 I had to use XP (service pack 3) mode.

3) Run as Administrator: be sure to run as admin, you can check this option in properties as well so it will always run as administrator.

4) Reinstall: during installation be SURE to run as admin. If you did not do this during your first install it "could" be the problem

5) Patch the Game: make sure you are using the 1.0b patch, or you will likely never get this to work on Vista. If you are using a copy of the game from anywhere but the U.S., you may have to apply multiple patches.

6) Do not use the SecuROM bypass crack. If you are using an intel graphics chipset it just plain will never work.

7) Add the line: Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 under Graphics Options in your swkotor2.ini file. Also known as the "Dantooine Lag Fix" it can clear up other issues as well.

8) Disable the following in-game options: All Shadows, Grass, and Frame Buffer Effects

Lastly, unfortunately this game is no where near as good as the first. I could go on a huge tangent about why and how many things LucasArts screwed up in other games too... I will spare you tho lol....... here's hoping Disney does a better job now that they own the rights to Star Wars heh.

User Info: plucky027

plucky027 (Expert) - 6 years ago 2   1

Answers

1. I tried this, it works as far as i can tell - i dont know how it happened to me in the first place, i had the game before and it worked

User Info: JAC75

JAC75 - 5 years ago 0   0