Review by BabblingGamer

Reviewed: 07/27/09

As an RPG fan, not impressed.

Ever since I played The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the standards for an RPG is without doubt, raised. From the same creators of Oblivion, I expected something similarly spectacular and extraordinary. I'm also a fan of FPS games and when I saw that Fallout 3 was a combination of RPG and FPS, I was very excited for it. As I played through Fallout 3, I soon realized that this game is no match for Oblivion.

Before I go any further, I'm merely comparing this game to Oblivion because my expectations were high.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fallout 3 has a decent storyline of your character trying to his/her father who escaped from Vault 101. Your character then fights his/her way out to the open world and discovers the Fallout world of Washington, D.C. I had fun playing through the main quest but after the main quest, everything was pretty much done. The main thing I loved about Oblivion was that you get to do other stuff after you're done with the main quest. By stuff I mean join guilds and do other quests. But in Fallout 3, once your done with the main quest, you're done with the game. Although you could load your previous saved games and explore around the place fighting ghouls, but I find that boring and unnecessary. Why? Because if I do explore it, all I do is kill whatever is in that place and look at the same scenery every time. The game itself doesn't provide much information about the world in the game so you'll never be able to understand what you're actually dealing with. In Oblivion, the world had a system and structure as a backbone of the game where you get to figure out things as you move along in the game and follow it. When you explore in Fallout 3 you'll just keep asking yourself "How did these ghouls become ghouls? What is the history behind this Fallout world?" There's not enough information for you to learn about the world for you to be interested in it.

Fallout 3 also lacks size compared to Oblivion. When I mean size, I mean the things you could do as a character. Like I said before, all you do in Fallout 3 is complete the main quest and explore. As much as they call it an RPG, I didn't see any serious RPG points in this game. Even if your character destroys a town or rob every house, it won't change anything. This is another flaw of the game not having a system or backbone. When you steal things in Oblivion, your character receives consequences. It makes the player decide if they want to be good or bad.

Another expectation I had was the intensity of the game. Fallout 3 is a combination of FPS and RPG and for the FPS part, I wanted intensity. I've played many other FPS games and it's always about the action and gunfire. Fallout 3 is much more friendly compared to other FPS games mainly because of V.A.T.S. The creators probably put in V.A.T.S. just to show how high-tech the future is and to bring out some spectacular graphics. V.A.T.S. really slows down the game and I just completely loss my appetite for the FPS in this game. Even if you don't use V.A.T.S., the shooting itself is slow and not action-packed. The damage you take is slow because the gunfire is slow. Your character and your enemies moves slowly which means for an FPS veteran, it's basically target practice.

Overall I am disappointed by this game. I've read many positive reviews for Fallout 3 and then crushed when I played this. My expectations are a bit high, but if you're looking for a game to keep you busy for a day or two, this won't be a bad choice. Despite the lack of size in the game, you could have a bit of fun when you're bored. Fallout 3 can be a great time-killer. The game isn't all that intense which makes fighting really slow and annoying. Fallout 3 gives a really great feel as a wandering character just walking around the place looking for something to do.

Product Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)