Review by RustyAim

Reviewed: 05/12/09

Broken Steel, an honest review.

Fallout 3’s original ending was abrupt and rather sad. But, if nothing else, it was an ending.

Players tended to complain about two things. One, you couldn’t continue playing after the main quest. Two, you couldn’t let Fawkes (or another radiation immune follower) activate the purifier.

Broken Steel addresses these concerns. But does it do in a satisfying way?

This time, after the purifier, you wake up two weeks later in the Citadel regardless of what choice you make at the end of Take it Back! The Enclave is still around and your main quests involve taking them down. They also raise your level cap to 30. As far as I know it’s still 30 even if you start from the beginning.

So far so good.

There are three main primary missions in the pack.

The first mission is a combat mission.

Fallout 3 is decent combat wise but is by no means perfect. When you gain experience for kills but must do a certain level of damage to the enemy in question to get that experience, having a lot of Brotherhood of Steel guys fighting with you doesn’t bode well for getting experience.

The second mission was McGuffin retrieval/exploration. Not bad.

The last mission was another combat heavy mission that was two parts.

The first part is in a closed area. It wouldn’t be so bad if not for the problem of a bug that sometimes makes some enemies invincible!

The second part is in a large open area and there are a lot of powerful enemies.

This is where you get the Tesla Cannon. It’s one heck of a powerful gun to put it mildly. It can destroy Vertibirds with a single shot, it does a lot of damage to turrets (some will be one shot kills) and is overall a heavy hitting weapon. Given the enemies you face, you’ll need it and lots of stimpacks.

Perhaps this is the problem. While the last mission in the original Fallout 3 was combat heavy, it was a climax. This mission sort of has that feel, but feels more like Quake then Fallout 3.

You’ll get a congratulatory speech after then the primary quests are done.

This time, the ending is open-ended. If you wish, there are secondary quests you can do (if you haven’t done them already). There are also repeatable quests you can acquire at that time if you’re looking for more to do.

The secondary quests aren’t bad. They do feel more like Fallout 3 missions. The problem is that they’re somewhat generic and not long.

Still, I admit that when I first played through Broken Steel and did a secondary quest as my last one, I felt bad when it was over. I didn’t want it to end, I wanted more.

Yes, there is additional content. With the main quests over however, it’s more a matter of doing minor unmarked quests and looking for some of the new enemies, armor or weapons they added.

The primacy Quests of Broken Steel will last you perhaps three to four hours. The secondary will last an hour, maybe two. Your mileage however may vary. Broken Steel costs 800 Microsoft points but given you need to buy the points in 500 or 1000 (or more) increments, chances are, this will be 1000 Microsoft points. For me, that was $14.50. That’s no small price to pay for four to six hours of gameplay.

I however, understand that developing games costs money. But, there must be some middle ground.

Bottom line, if you want new content that includes adding some missions, raising the level cap, fixing the ending so it’s more open-ended, adding some new enemies, weapons and amour and don’t mind paying for it, I think you’ll enjoy it.

If however, you’ve moved on and/or are not willing to fork over money for something that perhaps should have been free (or less costly) then this might not be for you.

Overall, it’s okay. It’s not bad, it’s just okay. To be honest, what it boiled down to was, I wanted more Fallout 3 missions, not Quake missions (so to speak) and I wanted something that would last. But, perhaps that’s the problem.

6/10

Product Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)