Review by wankspot

Reviewed: 02/17/09

definitely top drawer

I had some issues with this game crashing, and had to run it in windowed mode. Happily, that was very reliable and I was able to enjoy the game from then on.

This game is superb. Engrossing, fun, scary, dark, intelligent, breathtaking in its scope, extremely well planned and thought out, visually magnificent with great atmospheric sound and music. The open-endedness is reminiscent of Far Cry, but the graphics are even better.

In addition to fine gameplay, there are moral dilemmas to wrestle with which really do make you think about your decisions. Unless you're an evil cannibal that is.

Anyone who enjoyed Max Payne will be pleased to here there's a slo-mo firing feature which works well. Weapon damage can be enhanced by "critical" hits or by firing from concealement.

There's a great deal of blood & guts in this game, and more swearing than I think I've encountered in a game before, so if you're under 18, better get a false beard and a deep voice before you go to the shop to buy this game.

In conclusion - a brilliant game, up there with half-life in terms of pushing the envelope while still being a really playable and immersive experience.

To pad the review out I will now repeat myself.

Product Release: Fallout 3 (US, 10/28/08)