University connection problems for windows update and anti virus updates advice can anyone help?

1. My uni has it set up that it has an install program that changes TCP/ip settings and ie connection settings to connect to internet, and for firefox I put in a manual proxy.

But me and other people in my dorm cant do anti virus or windows updates as the server wont connect.

We can play online games fine though.

Anyone know what to do?

For FF its like

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ - 9 years ago

1. With certain background programs such as Windows Updater, there are often specific ports that must be opened so that they may work. This article may present a few options:

If I remember correctly, having FTP ports 20-21 and TCP port 80 open will pretty much solve any problem in that realm, and manually setting that on your PC should override the university's setting.

User Info: Mystikal_Schmoo

Mystikal_Schmoo - 9 years ago 2 0

1. Your university may provide an on-campus server that you can get updates from. This saves them bandwidth, as they only need to download updates from Microsoft and the AV vendor once, and helps you, as connecting to the on-campus server is going to be a lot faster than connecting across the internet.

User Info: RingoBell

RingoBell - 9 years ago 0 0