How does one tank well?

1. So I've been playing for about 4 days now, approaching level 30. I thought i was doing ok as a tank (getting in first with the sheild lob and then provoke/eclipse, fast blade/riot blade combo with the occasional stun) but i had someone tell me earlier today that i "need to learn how to tank".

Does anyone know what im missing?

Thanks

User Info: Spiderland90

Spiderland90 - 1 month ago
  2. Get hit
    Dont let party get hit

User Info: arcnova

arcnova - 4 weeks ago

1. Aside from that additional bit of info regarding defensive abilities, one thing that probably prompted the "learn to tank" commentary was your use of Provoke. Don't do that. All it does is copy the highest enmity then put you just slightly over it. And since you're coming up on 30 you should have Rage of Halone, so you shouldn't just be doing fast blade/riot blade as your combo, but getting in that third hit as well.
    Provoke is mostly for when you've got two tanks and need to swap, or are doing some content with adds and they make for the healer due to regens or whatever else.
    Also make sure you've got Iron Will on.

User Info: EusisLandale

EusisLandale - 1 month ago 4   0
  2. Oh i did not know that about provoke, i thought it was essential! I didnt have rage of halone at the time of posting the original question but i do now and have embedded it into my hotbar. Thanks again!

User Info: Spiderland90

Spiderland90 - 1 month ago
  3. Provoke is essential, it's just not a standard part of a tank's rotation. It's the same with defensive abilities, essential but only helpful when used at the right times.

User Info: EusisLandale

EusisLandale - 1 month ago
  4. Another thing a lot of new tanks don't realize is that you should only move the bare minimum needed to avoid major mechanics. All melee dps have at least a couple positional attacks. That means that they do extra damage or have some other extra effect by attacking from the correct direction, either the back or the side. If you're moving everything will continue to turn to face you, making these much harder to pull off. Go ahead and dodge aoes, but try to just get barely out then move right back to the same spot.

User Info: Udodelig

Udodelig - 1 month ago

Answers

1. There's more to just tanking than just holding aggro. You must also use your damage reduction cooldowns, position enemies so they don't cleave others while also grouping them well, keeping up on gear are all important factors.

User Info: FlameMagician

FlameMagician (Expert) - 1 month ago 5   6
  2. Rampart and reprisal? I have been using them also, though i neglected to mention. Positioning is something i need to be more aware of then it seems. Thanks for the help!

User Info: Spiderland90

Spiderland90 - 1 month ago
  3. Rampart and Reprisal are some of the options yes. Additional tools are Low Blow, taking an enemy out for a few seconds, Interject, as anything that can be interrupted is usually really bad if it isn't, and Arm's Length, 20% slower attacks means more time for the healer to react to what you're taking.
    Knowing what your healer can do and adjust to it also helps. Running with a 45+ White Mage for example, you can get away with not using CDs for a bit if they're Holy spamming, as it's an aoe stun. Just watch the diminishing returns on the debuff and get something up once the stun's lasting only a second.

User Info: EusisLandale

EusisLandale - 1 month ago
  4. Low blow i have been using but ive been neglecting interject, ill stick it on the hotbar. Thanks for the advice!

User Info: Spiderland90

Spiderland90 - 1 month ago
  5. I was a White Mage primarily, however, no one complained about my Warrior tanking skills. The whole point of tanking is to soak up all the damage from enemies so that your party members do not die. You need to go high defense skills and abilities and skills that provoke the boss and their minions. You need to pray that the damage per second from classes such as Black Mage is high enough to kill the hostiles quickly and that the healers can keep you from dying.

I remember I had to take breaks from healing because I was criticized for my methods, however, that was in the end game. Take breaks from tanking if it ever becomes too stressful.

User Info: HeIImasker

HeIImasker - 1 month ago 0   1
  6. Telling you to learn to tank without providing any info on how you can improve is my idea of a dick move. I'm all for constructive criticism but it's useless if someone does it that way and expects you to figure out what they think you're doing wrong from "learn to tank." Anyways, it could be that he was unhappy with the pacing. That role falls on the tank. As you play more you will get a feel of what groups can handle, but in the end the pace is up to you and what you are comfortable with.

User Info: Hokiepokie85

Hokiepokie85 - 4 weeks ago 2   3
  7. I thought so too. If i wasnin his position, i would have given some advice.

User Info: Spiderland90

Spiderland90 - 4 days ago
  8. https: //gyazo. com/21d1d77d29464010fabc200a98712a0f

Old image, but trust me, its great. Read it carefully.

User Info: DANTE20XX

DANTE20XX - 4 weeks ago 0   1