Critical Charge damage is barely higher than power attack damage; bug or intended mechanics?

1. I noticed that my one handed Critical Charges don't seem to do more damage than simple, non-critical power attacks, even though I get the Critical Charge animation, the sound effect and the notification of a critical hit.

I tested it with the floating damage mod; a simple power attack does 123 points of damage, while the Critical Charge does 126 against the same enemy. Isn't it supposed to deal double damage? Tried several weapons of differing types on several enemies, and the damage of a Critical Charge is consistently just a couple percents higher than that of a power attack.

Is this how it's supposed to work? Having the Savage Strike perk, I do waaay more damage with a standing power attack than I do with a Critical Charge, so why bother sprinting?

(Vanilla skyrim with no mods. I have no points in Bladesman.)

User Info: Selgor

Selgor - 4 weeks ago

1. That's because critical damage doesn't take into account smithing, enchantment and skills when calculating the damage, only the base damage of the weapon used.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Damage#Critical_Strikes

User Info: FactoidHunter

FactoidHunter (Expert) - 4 weeks ago 5   0
  2. Thanks much for the answer. A perk point well wasted I guess.

User Info: Selgor

Selgor - 3 weeks ago
  3. Very much wasted unfortunately. :(

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne - 2 weeks ago