1. Hey everyone, I come to you pretty bummed out. I was having trouble running Skyrim and even made a thread thinking it was the mods, but when I looked at the performance tab on Task manager on a second monitor while playing Skyrim on the other I realized that it wasn't anything to do with mods, it's just that even Vanilla Skyrim is so hard for my computer to run that when it crashes (I already explained it in my forum post, if you wanna get full details about it check my posts on my profile, but long story short my monitor would disconnect and when it re-connected Skyrim would be minimized, and when I tried to go back into Skyrim/waited long enough it would crash) I see GPU and CPU and sometimes I think Disk use jump to 100%, after looking online I found out that my computer, CyberpowerPC, is pretty s**tty (Sorry, filter.) , the problem is my family doesn't have much money, let alone money to build a new PC, and my Dad was really happy and proud of himself that he just barely managed to convince my Mom to let him buy this for me, he feels really happy that he could do something nice for me, and I feel like it would just crush him if I came to him and basically said "You spent 600$ on a piece of s**t, we need to buy another couple hundred dollars of stuff to salvage this craphole you bought me", Christmas and also my Birthday are coming up so I should have some money to spare then but until then (and also, when that time comes) what do I do? I really wanna play Skyrim but even with nothing but performance enhancing mods and, while I did some other stuff that should help it run better, considering how drastically insane the useage of CPU/GPU data was I highly doubt that me getting a custom, easier-to-run VSync and turning down Resolution and s**t like that is gonna make it go from not being able to run itself on Vanilla doing nothing but watching cutscenes to running perfectly fine with mods on, is there anything I can do to fix this? Is there any way for me to play Skyrim with mods and somehow salvage my PC at LEAST until I can get to Christmas/My birthday (Which are two days apart so I can just say "I'll make my Christmas and Birthday present one thing") and once I do get there what do I buy? What can I get for AROUND 400-500$ that will atleast let me run Skyrim, since this is the only game, atleast so far that I can think of, that I've had serious problems with running, if I can run this I should be just fine running my other stuff, but I don't know what I can buy that would make that difference. I really need help on this, I love my Dad and he does so much for us, and I so desperately just wanna play Skyrim and if I come to him even if I say it really easy, nice, and polite in his mind he's going to subconciously twist it into being something like "I failed and wasted my family's money on something that could've been actually good and useful, aswell as making my son feel bad. I'm a horrible person", even if he very much didn't and very much isn't. I just so badly wanna play Skyrim and until I can say "The computer's not that good- BUT! It's okay, I can spend my birthday money that I wasn't gonna use on anything else anyway to make it AWESOME, while also being able to install and build it while hanging out with you!" all I can do is just play couple-minute increments of the game and save so much it's not even Skyrim, it's "Save Simulator with occasional breaks of Gameplay".

I really appreciate any help, to TL;DR/Sum up,
    1.) How do I decrease CPU/GPU useage without using mods/inis, as I've already done that, atleast without using the same, usual tricks/mods that're in basically every "How 2 increase performance" thread on any Skyrim-related forum
    2.) Whether I can do something right now or can't, what can I buy for 300-400$ that will make my CyberpowerPC strong enough to run Skyrim?

Seriously, I really appreciate any help a lot. This is really important to me and I wanna make sure my Dad got his money's worth and doesn't feel scammed or like he messed up.

User Info: Vnutri

Vnutri - 2 months ago
  2. Clarification Request:
    PC specs? CyberPower has been making PC's for a while. What you can do with a 3 year old PC vs an 8 year old is different... MB, chipset, etc all that stuff matters.

What version of Skyrim are you playing? Original, Legendary Edition, or Special Ed?

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff - 1 month ago

Answers

1. What are your PC's specs?(i.e. gpu, cpu, how much RAM etc.) If you know what you have I can recommend something for question 2.

User Info: Rhomber

Rhomber - 1 month ago 0 0
  2. If you don't have the specs, post the MODEL # - we can get specs on line.

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff (Expert) - 1 month ago 0 0
  3. One thing that helps is dropping the resolution, just make sure to keep it at the same ratio as your monitor to preserve the "shape" of the image.
    I.E. my 1920x1080 (default) can be lowered to a "smaller" 16x9 resolution.

Another option is to reduce View Distance for everything, basically shrinking the radius in which the game/machine renders objects and such.

Hope this helps.

User Info: CommanderAngel1

CommanderAngel1 - 1 month ago 0 0
  4. Bethesda titles are notoriously demanding on the processor, it you were to look to upgrade a component, then the CPU would be the one to do. The problem with this is that it is quite likely you would need to also upgrade the motherboard and ram to match.

What I would suggest as a long shot is you check the temperatures of your processor. I've had problems in the past with Skyrim and lousy performance that were related to CPU temperature. Fitting an after market fan to the processor enabled me to improve performance of the game.

I would also encourage you to look at other titles to play to make good use of your computer. Take it from a guy who was a kid was in a similar situation as you. We got an underpowered for the time computer and most things barely ran. I'd just play older games or look for things that did run. I've still got that machine as well. You'll be able to play plenty of games, just maybe not Skyrim. I'd encourage you to try either Oblivion or Morrowind if you wish to play an Elder Scrolls game, try to get your Dad to play as well, having you want to get him involved and spend time with him will mean a lot to him.

User Info: Hicks233

Hicks233 - 1 month ago 0 0
  5. #JustPcPeasantThings

User Info: michaelrandom27

michaelrandom27 - 2 weeks ago 0 0