Review by Elbryan42

Reviewed: 06/11/03 | Updated: 06/11/03

Sick of people bashing this game, IT ROCKS!

Ok, so it's a bit tricky to set up. Who cares? If you don't have a PS2 or X-Box, this game is for you. Of course, to fully enjoy the game, you must have a Geforce card, and a PSX Dual Shock controller. With the patch you're set.

I waited to play this game since I saw the E3 video many years ago. I refused to buy a PS2 just for this game, and X-Box was out of the question for the same reason. So, finally when I this game came out for the PC (and on DVD to boot, which I think is a great decision, no disc swapping! :)), I picked it up the second it came out, and have been enjoying it ever since. The storyline, graphics, sounds, and gameplay are all top notch 10/10. Perfect if you know what you're doing.

Since looking for any real help with setting up this game is tricky, I'll lay it all down here. Don't let the getting the game to run great keep you from one of the best games ever. Here's the lowdown.

This game is a direct port of the X-Box version. So for many reasons, it pretty much requires you to have a certain system to play it great out of the box on.

First of all, the video on the X-Box is GeForce, so, of course, if you have a GeForce 2 MX or higher you're set. No slowdown or graphical gliches, besides some of the helicopters missing the rotors. Even if you have a GeForce card, download the ATI patch. The only other graphical glitch, which makes the cars in the intro look all screwy, is fixed. I can't speak for those with an ATI card, but since there's an ATI patch, I'm assuming the incompatiblity issue is addressed. As for processor, a 1.5 GHz or higher will play the game nice and smooth. Anything above should be OK, but if you have other software running, expect some problems.

Controller. The keyboard/mouse works fine, but doesn't compare to a PSX Dual Shock controller (with a converter, which can be found anywhere), or a similar PC controller. The analog buttons you ask? Well, there's both ''weak'' and ''slow'' buttons, which, if you set to the same button on your controller, will have you holding up soldiers with ease. Having 2 sticks is a must. Pressing down on the left stick gives you first person mode (thus, you can have R2 as your weak/slow button), and the right is your ninja controls, with the stick button as your thrust.

And I can't express enough to play through the VR Missions first. By time you get through them, you'll have the controls down perfectly for the game.

Back to the game itself. The storyline is amazing, easily on par with Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake and Metal Gear Solid. You'll be on the edge of your seat, laugh, and even cry. Not too often do you get this immersed into a storyline for the game because of the acting. Amazing.

The controls are tight for sure. If you play keyboard/mouse, it can be tricky, but with enough practice, the mouse is a reasonable alternative to a joystick. Of course, I recommend a dual analog controller. Buy one for $15-20. It's worth it. The controls have been refined from Metal Gear Solid. Now, your inventory/weapons are 1 button instead of 2. Lightly tap for equip/unequip, hold down to scroll through your items/weapons. There are the regular duck, weapon, and punch buttons. But now there's an action button. You use this to hang from ledges, step up low walls, and open lockers. The slow/weak buttons do their job well.

The graphics rock, and there's barely any slowdown, for some reason, smoother than MGS1 on the PC. Guess Konami knows more about transparent Ninja effects than Microsoft.

If you're an exclusive PC player, okay, you'll be disappointed, this is a platform/console game through and through. Simple, elegant, and story driven. You'll get so much into the story that time won't have meaning anymore. And playing the VR Missions is a thrill and a half. If you're a fan of the Metal Gear series (from MSX to NES to PSX to GBA to PC) you'll love this game.

Konami may have been a bit sloppy when porting this game. It may be sloppy, but Konami is giving you Grade A entertainment here. Take the time getting this game working right, it won't let you down for a second. Honestly. I bought this game, and haven't regretted it ever since. Have patience, and this game will be a true jewel in your collection.

Definitely 10/10. For the love of Snake, give this game a chance. Don't just toss it the first problem you have, you'll regret it.