Review by Dark Shadow X

Reviewed: 04/28/03 | Updated: 04/28/03

Finally, a game that really just don't give a whoo what anybody thinks.

When I first played the demo, I was hooked. I hadn't had this much fun blowing up people since GTA3. This game is ultra violent, a first of a kind, really. It has its similarities to GTA, but I don't see why everyone needs to complain about how you can't steal cars or other stuff. Postal 2 is unique, it's not copying off of the GTA series.

With that out of the way, let me say that unless you're an adult, you're going to want to only really play this game when your parents aren't home. Either that or turn the volume down and don't kill anyone. Because this game has everything--Blood spatters, the F word, hookers, crooked cops, puke, and just about every single thing that would make a senator cringe.

Which is another thing. Running With Scissors apparently doesn't give a crap what people are gonna think about their game. Everyone really is dissed here. Fat people, homosexuals, christians, and tons more. But it's all in good humor, of course. Take for example the ''Confess Your Sins'' errand. You go to a huge church, in which you go to the confession booth and speak to the pastor. ''Father, I've sinned. Really, really badly. No, I'm serious. I'm a HUGE sinner!'' says the Postal dude.
''Well, did you put money in the offering box?''
''...Yeah...!''
''Okay, your sins are forgiven!''
Now, I'm a Christian, but I wasn't in the least bit offended by this game. But if you get offended by race, weight, or homosexual jokes, then you might wanna stay clear of this game. In another section, in the library, there's a Bin-Laden look-alike (and what game DOESN'T have one these days?) standing next to a ''How to be a Terrorist'' section. It's funny as heck, but it may be offensive to some people.

The graphics are rather nice. The explosions are incredible, as is the fire when you light up gasoline. Blood goes really everywhere, and it's not hard to cause a huge massacre, light the dead bodies and watch their flesh melt off. Then, of course, you can kick their heads around for a bit.

The story? Well, basically, you live in a trailer, and you have to do errands for your wife each day. Everything from getting milk to cashing your paycheck to pissing on your dad's grave. You might say, ''Eh, that's stupid.'' But where it really shines is that after certain events, a whole new event happens. I was in the bank cashing my check, and after I had done so, about 5 robbers broke in with shotguns sticking the place up. Police were there of course, and a big shoot-out took place. I grabbed all the ammo from the dead bodies, took out my gun, shot some people, then ran for my dear life. It's just insanely fun, and NEVER gets old.

The city is HUGE. It's ten times bigger than one of GTA's cities. The main reason is that there's an interior for EVERYTHING. Go in the front door, maybe do some shopping (read: KILL KILL KILL!1!1!!), or sneak into the employees only section. Every time you play, you'll always find new paths, new doors, new areas. And the AI is very advanced. Citizens talk to each other, buy things, and go about their business. Most have guns, but the police aren't only after you. They'll shoot anyone with a gun out. The most realistic thing I've seen so far is the waiting in line system. Go to the bank, say, and you have to wait in line for about a minute for your turn. Cut everyone and not only will they swear at you, but the clerk will tell you to go to the end of the line. It's just amazing.

The only thing that really hinders exploration is the fact that the load times are INCREDIBLY LONG. So make sure you have a list of chores left to do, because you can do them in the time it takes to load each area.

But as for now, I find no really boredom in the game. It's fun, fast-paced, and has a ton of replayability. May not be worth the $50 for some, but for the rest of us who can handle this stuff, it's a blast.