Review by Lachdannan

Reviewed: 09/09/03

A game worth owning.

I first played Doom on my friend’s brand new Pentium II. It was awe inspiring back then; thusly, I was awe-struck. The very next day I picked up this infamous game and proceeded to lose sleep for weeks. It was so worth it…

Gameplay: 10/10.

Being a first person shooter that was designed to be used solely on a keyboard without a mouse, I’d say that the folks over at id Software did a splendid job. You get used to the controls surprisingly quickly. After you get a weapon and ammo, you can shoot at enemies that are on higher or lower levels than you simply by aiming parallel with them and shooting. The bullets will automatically fly towards them.
There are 5 difficulties to the game: “I’m too young to Die”, “Hey, not too rough”, “Hurt me Plenty”, “Ultra Violence”, and “Nightmare”. Beginners should stick to the lower 2 difficulties. Step things up a notch with the next two difficulties. And if you are comfortable with the controls and your knowledge of the levels, you can choose ‘Nightmare’ difficulty. On this setting, demons will respawn. They don’t like to play nice on this level.
As you progress through the many levels of Doom, you’ll come across progressively harder monsters. There are several monsters to slay, (such as the classic Imp, Bull Demon, Cacodemon, and Hell Baron). You use an arsenal of weapons (such as the pistol, chainsaw, chaingun, rocket launcher, and the all-powerful BFG 900) that can be found by exploring the expansive levels. When the monsters get tougher, thankfully you will have access to weapons that can dispose of them rather easily.
Levels get harder as well as the monsters. You must find keys and secret passages and such. Each level is its own unique map and has several secrets hidden throughout.

Controls: 8/10.

Using only a keyboard for a first person shooter today would be blasphemy. Though, in the rampant days of Doom, it felt as natural as walking in the park. The controls are somewhat customizable, so get used to them. It is helpful to feel as comfortable as possible when playing. The control score would be higher if the mouse could be implemented and utilized in a manner of your liking.

Story: 10/10.

What story could have been better back in 1993 when Doom was released? “Somewhere Far from earth, the UAC recommenced their experiments on one of the moons of Jupiter. A spaceship, mistaken for a supply vexxel on radar, hovered above the base. Hideous demons poured out, blanketing the base with death. All your comrades were quickly slaughtered or zombified. This time, it's not about survival. It's about revenge.” (id Software – www.idsoftware.com).
You are to move your little space marine through a plethora of levels killing off every last demon fiend and closing the 7th gate of hell.

Audio/Visual: 9/10.

The music is awesome. The sound effects are awesome. For the time, the audio part of the game totally rocked. The reason I give this a 9 out of 10 is that some of the same sound effects were ported over from ‘Wolfenstein 3D’. Also, at times during the game, you’ll get bored with the same demon sounds and the same ol weapon sounds. Though, sneaking around the catacombs of Doom and hearing the moaning of nearby enemies really gave me the creeps. The sound effects really fir the surroundings.

Graphics: 10/10.

Once again, for the time that Doom was released, the graphics were incredible. The bloody messes that monsters crumpled into were exquisite. You will find yourself hunting down every last enemy to see its bloody corpse pasted all over the wall. The water/pools of sludge effects are great too. And once you get into an open level, the sky renders are a sight to see.

Replayability: 9/10.

With so many difficulties to choose from, you can easily spend over 100 hours going through the levels of Doom. Or, at least I did. There are several hundred secrets to find our about. Getting 100% completion while still reaching the level’s ‘par’ time might take a few tries. Definitely worth playing through more than once.

Overall: 9/10.

If you have never played this game, I would definitely advise you to look into it. You don’t want to be the one standing around all your friends without a word while the rest gossip about their video game nostalgia do you? I thought not. Go out and get the game, play through it, and remember Doom next time you play your newest favorite first person shooter.

A must have.