Review by Tachion II

Reviewed: 07/01/03 | Updated: 07/01/03

Not as good as the original, but a great game nonetheless

Since the release of the original Unreal, few games have matched the pure awe that Unreal made us feel back in 1998 when gamers first installed this beautiful game. Vast and open areas, accompanied by colored lighting and environments that seemed to be alive were almost unheard of at the time, but Unreal pulled it off.

Fast forward 5 years.

What could be considered one of the most anticipated sequels to date, Unreal 2 lives up to it's predecessor in quite a few areas, yet falls short in others. The breathtaking graphics still remain (although with huge improvement) and a well done soundtrack is present as was in Unreal, but the length of the game is where Unreal II falls short.

Graphics - Without a doubt, one of the most beautiful games to date. Environments look real and living and there is a large variety of them. Every level is beautifully polished and rounded. Lighting effects are great as are particle effects. 10 / 10

Sound and Music - Not much to say about sound. Each weapon sounds different and the environmental sounds are quite good. The voice acting is good as well, and hardly any of it seems forced or unnatural. The music really shines, however. Like Unreal, Unreal II has beautiful music. Much of it is dynamic, unlike Unreal, meaning the music changes instantly depending on the situation or what is currently taking place in the game. 8 / 10

Story - Many seem to dislike the story, but I felt it was well rounded. Each interlude mission (sort of a briefing between each mission) provides ample background about each of the characters and actually makes you have ''feelings'' of sort for them. The main storyline develops quite a bit throughout the course of the game, with a number of plot twists throughout it. It kept me interested enough for a second play through, and maybe even a third. 8 / 10

Length - This is where some major points get knocked off. The game is not as short as people make it out to be, but it's not exactly long either. My first play through took me about a week, playing an hour some days, and three or four others. My second play through took me two days, probably totaling 14 or so hours. Not a long game by any means, but it's long enough to develop and wrap up the story. 5 / 10

Overall, a very good game worth playing at least once. Don't go into the game expecting the length or a similar story of the original and you should find the game quite enjoyable.