DOSBox Trouble?

1. I'm new to DOSBox and GameFAQs and in need of technical support (I apologize if there was already a post on this, I couldn't find one). I followed all the instructions on this website: www.pcworld.com/article/239340/how_to_play_daggerfall_on_your_windows_7_pc.html

For some reason, however, I'm having trouble installing. I'll run through what I did.

First thing I did was, obviously, install DOSBox and Daggerfall from the Elder Scrolls website. I made a directory (I believe that's what it's called) located at C:\DOS, and a sub-directory C:\DOS\DaggerCD. I extracted the Daggerfall files into C:\DOS\DaggerCD. I went into the DOSBox options, changed memsize=16 to memsize=32, saved and closed the options.

I opened the DOSBox, and typed in: mount c c:\dos -freesize 1000, then pressed enter.
    then I typed in mount d c:\dos\daggercd -t cdrom -label Daggerfall.
    I switched the emulator to the D:\ drive by typing d: and pressing the enter key.
    This is where the problem comes in.
    I'm supposed to type install and press enter, which is supposed to initiate the Daggerfall install program, but when I do, it says: illegal command:install.
    That's as far as I've gotten.
    Does anyone know what the problem is? I looked at the comments on the website I listed above, but they all confused me.

User Info: SCSNV

SCSNV - 4 years ago

Answers

1. They way I do it is I usually create a folder called DOSGames in my C: drive, then extract daggerfall into the new folder, as it should automatically be in extracted into it's own inside DOSGames. Then I name the new folder DAGGER, becasue the name of the folder cannot be longer than (6?). Then, in DOSBox;
    mount C: C:\DOSGames\
    C:
    From there the thing on the right side should have changed from a Z to C, doesn't matter what it started with. Continuing;
    cd DAGGER
    Then, the thing should have DAGGER in it. From there you usually only have to type DAGGER.EXE, if not, type "dir" and look for files that might start the game. Honestly, I never fix any of the extra stuff such as free size and memsize.

Now, when you download the game from the site, you should get the install file, so that process is irrelevant. But, of course, I recommend the Ancestral Ghost version, as you get mods and patches otherwise nearly unobtainable; here is the website for it:
    wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

JUST CLICK DAGGERFALLSETUP.EXE, AND SELECT WHAT EVER ADDONS YOU WANT WHEN IT INSTALLS. ADD THE http: stuff at the beginning

User Info: Starki

Starki - 2 years ago 0 0