FAQ/Strategy Guide by CityBuilderAK47
Version: 1.11 | Updated: 09/19/19
Table of Contents
- Theme Hospital vs. Two Point Hospital
- Additional Resources
- Where Your Save Files Are Stored
- Updates / Additional Content
- Before You Build: What Makes An Effective Layout?
- 11 Tips for Hospital Success
- The Patient Process
- Patient Happiness
- The 9 General Rules of Hospital Layout
- Kudosh & Recommend Items
- Before You Build: Staffing
- Staff Happiness & Staff Threats
- Doctor Skills
- Nurse Skills
- Assistant Skills
- Janitor Skills
- Common Skills
- Staff Traits
- Staff Attire
- Countryside Region
- Cold Region
- Level 4: Mitton University
- Level 5: Tumble
- Level 6: Flemington
- Level 6: Flemington - Case Study - 2 Stars to 3 Stars
- Level 6: Flemington - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Industrial Region
- Level 7: Smogley
- Level 7: Smogley - Case Study - From Failing 1 Star to Succesful 3 Star
- Level 7: Smogley - 3 Star Winning Layout
- Level 8: Melt Downs
- Level 8: Melt Downs - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Level 9: Duckworth-Upon-Bilge
- Level 9: Duckworth-upon-Bilge - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Tropical Region
- Level 10: Sweaty Palms
- Level 10: Sweaty Palms - Case Study - A Failing Hospital (When to Give Up)
- Level 10: Sweaty Palms - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Level 11: Grockle Bay
- Level 11: Grockle Bay - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Level 12: Blighton
- Level 12: Blighton - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Urban Region
- Level 13: Rotting Hill
- Level 13: Rotting Hill - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Level 14: Pelican Wharf
- Level 14: Pelican Wharf - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Level 15: Croquembouche
- Level 15: Croquembouche - 3-Star Winning Layout
- Interior Designer
- (Snowfall) Pointy Mountain Region
- (Snowfall) Level 16: Underlook Hotel
- (Snowfall) Level 17: Swelbard
- (Snowfall) Level 18: Roquefort Castle
- (Snowfall) Level 18: Roquefort Castle - 3-Star Layout
- (Snowfall) New Items
- (Snowfall) New Rooms
- (Snowfall) New Illnesses
- (Snowfall) Other New Things
- (Pebberley Island) Pebberley Island Region
- (Pebberley Island) Level 19: Pebberley Reef
- (Pebberley Island) Level 19: Pebberley Reef - 3-Star Winning Layout
- (Pebberley Island) Level 20: Overgrowth
- (Pebberley Island) Level 21: Topless Mountain
- (Pebberley Island) Level 21: Topless Mountain - Case Study - Working Successfully with Waves
- (Pebberley Island) New Items
- (Pebberley Island) New Rooms
- (Pebberley Island) New Illnesses
- (Close Encounters) Desert Region
- (Close Encounters) - Level 22: Goldpan
- (Close Encounters) - Level 23: Camouflage Falls
- (Close Encounters) - Level 23: Camouflage Falls - Anatomy of a 3-Star Wave-Smashing Hospital
- (Close Encounters) - Level 24: Chasm 24
- (Close Encounters) - New Items
- (Close Encounters) - New Rooms
- (Close Encounters) - New Illnesses
- (Superbug Initiative) - The Superbug Initiative
- Building a Better Hospital
- GP Queues
- Hospital Level Snowballing
- Expansion Strategy
- Examples in Efficiency
- Room Prestige
- The Great Patient Purge
- Common 2-Star Challenges
- Common 3-Star Challenges
- You want HOW Much in Hospital Value?
- Attractiveness Rating
- Bump that Cure Rate Up!
- Staff Morale? Are You Kidding Me?
- Staff Challenges
- Item Listing
- Research Projects
- VIP Visits
- End of Year Awards
- Steam Achievement Guide
- Two Point Humor
- Contact the Author
End of Year Awards
Throughout the game, you're actually silently competing with four AI-run hospitals, and every year, everyone gets together for an awards gala, and hospitals and staff members are ranked across all organizations, producing a winner in several categories. If you've run your hospital well, that winner wil be you, and come January 1st, you might be up tens of thousands of dollars! It's none other than the End of Year Award Ceremony! Hurrah!
The End of Year Awards is a bit of a mixed bag. Although the premise of "Hey! Free money for having a good hospital!" is never a bad idea, the way it's implemented is a bit wonky. Basically, as soon as the calendar rolls over to January 1st of the next year, it starts a countdown to a little awards screen, which you can now thankfully skip if you'd like. Cheesy awards music plays and a little minute-long vignette plays revealing which hospitals won which awards this year. You can enhance the suspense yourself by opening each envelope at a time, or you can do what any player past their first hour does and quickly mash "Open All", hoping that maybe clicking it ten times will make it go away forever and just get on with your hospital.
It's honestly fun to watch the first few times (and the excited/disappointed animations courtesy of game ambassador Albert Crank in a tuxedo are chuckle-worthy), but it gets old very quickly. You'll start dreading the cheesy start-up tune, spamming the "Open All" button just to see what you've gotten, and move on with your hospital in no time. However, this isn't just free cash - each award you get gives you a prize of $5,000, 5 Kudosh, and +3 Reputation Points per award. While that doesn't sound like much, you can get up to eight awards any given year, meaning a total of $40,000, 40 Kudosh, and +24 Reputation points are up for grabs - not a bad deal at all! Of course, because award categories change. Some, like No Deaths, are notoriously hard to achieve,l and the chances of getting all eight are slim enouguh that it merits its own Steam achievement. But, year after year, you'll look forward to the expected boost in cash, and even if your hospital stinks, chances are, some part of it is decent enough to qualify for one or two awards. Additionally, sometimes not getting an award you expected to get can also take you back to the drawing board and make you realize that something's gone wrong in your hospital management.
So, even if a bit annoying, the awards ceremony is a good measuring stick for how your hospital is doing - more awards mean you're on the right track, less awards should give you some time to pause and reflect. So understand it is what it is, and hey, if you've had a bad year, dig into it a little more: the game is paused after all.
Here are the awards you can get:
Doctor of the Year - Awarded to the best performing Doctor. Candidates are graded on their treatment quality, diagnostic accuracy, and contributions to research.
Nurse of the Year - Awarded to the best performing Nurse. Candidates are graded on their treatment quality and diagnostic accuracy.
Janitor of the Year - Awarded to the busiest and handiest Janitor of the year.
Assistant of the Year - Awarded to the Assistant who processed the most patients this year.
Employer of the Year - Awarded to the best employer according to staff happiness and reputation
No Deaths - A special award given to hospitals that went the whole year without a single patient death.
Most Prestigious Hospital - Awarded to the hospital with the nicest working environment.
Patients' Choice Award - A special honour awarded by the patients themselves. They tend to vote based on treatment success and reputation.
Rising Star - Awarded to the most improved staff member of the year
Best Research Hospital - Awarded to the hospital that carried out the most research
Best Teaching Hospital - Awareded to the hospital that best trained staff members