Review by Rdndblck

Reviewed: 07/21/00 | Updated: 07/21/00

Not what I expected, but still worth the money.

First thing's first, I get this game home, install it and play it for a few hours before I have to go to work. As with any new game, I'm sit'n in my chair dread'n have'n to leave to go to work. I only had an hour or two to play it, and I go to work think'n, ''Well, maybe I just have to get into it more....'' WRONG. I was into it, or as far as it goes...

After the hype and commercials and all, you'd think it would take weeks or months to see and do everything in this game... nope. Not the case. Sure, you have lots of options 'bout this that and the other, but when it comes down to it, this game is really shallow. I mean, with my first family, I found what worked and did the same with the others. I mean, if I didn't, they weren't too happy. I tried everything and still found myself go'n back to the same 'ol items.

Let's take it from the top... creat'n your family... Well, is it just me or do you have very few options when it comes to faces and outfits? Sure, you can d/l a program from the web page, but that only solves one problem.

''Oh, but you can d/l furniture and stuff off the web too!'' And? A few extra items doesn't change the game much. things are still pretty limited.

You're prolly wondering why I gave it such a high rating if I don't like it... Wait... did I ever say I didn't like it? Um... No. It just was not what I expected. This game is more addictive than drugs. Sure things always seem the same, but then one of your Sims goes and burns the house down, or someone sneaks into your house in the middle of the night. And don't you just love the way you're Sims would rather swim than go to work, in effect cost'n them their jobs? Yup, that's great. They didn't need that $750 a day job, did they? My friend D was over when I first started play'n the game and his reaction was simple... ''Why the ''heck'' are they speak'n Spanish?!'' It would be nice to actually be able to understand them, but hey, nothing's perfect... But this game does come close.

A look at the good side of this game... The fact that Maxis went out on a limb to make this game shows that they have the balls to continue to make some of the best games ever made. Yes, I'm a SIM fan since Sim City on SNES. I've bought, played, and mastered just 'bout every SIM game there has ever been, but this game takes the cake. I think the phrase, ''A minute to learn, a lifetime to master'' would fit this game rather well.

To put it mildly, don't listen to the hype, commercials or ads, or you'll be surprised when you play this game... Strange thing is, it's a pleasent surprise... Who knows, it may be a new marketing ploy...?