Should I be leveling up on the first run?

1. As in, should I be killing monsters that are majorly important to the story like random encounters? I read up on some things, and read I can't actively get the best ending where you spare every encounter until the second run, as you NEED to kill the final boss(es) on the first run of the game. As a result, I want to know if I should be leveling up for that?

From what I experienced, damage seems to be more relative to equipment than levels. I'm currently LV 3 in the Hotlands, and my main problem at the moment is trying to keep the characters HP up in battles. Should I be leveling up more for the HP? What is a decent level to take on the final bosses at in a neutral run, and what monsters can I kill without majorly affecting the story in a negative way?

User Info: TokoWH

TokoWH - 5 years ago

1. That really depends on how you want to play.

Far as your questions go:

It's not quite correct that you can't get the best ending on your first runthrough. While it's true it's impossible to get the best ending as the first one you get, as soon as you've seen that ending, you can simply reload that same savefile and backtrack a bit, and if you've killed 0 enemies (and ONLY if you've killed 0 enemies), it'll bring you on the path to see the best ending (I'm being vague here to avoid spoilers).

Likewise, this also means that killing a single enemy of any sort (even one found in a random encounter) is enough to change the story in a major way. That said, there'll often be a bigger impact for killing any of the major boss characters (those'll usually be the ones found at the end of a particular area). The exact impact varies from character to character, but one way that's pretty consistant among them all is that it'll affect exactly which ending you get; the neutral ending has a lot of different variations based on which bosses you did and didn't kill.

Since you're already at Hotlands, I'd say you might as well finish your current runthough before trying a pacifist run, since you're pretty far into the game. Don't worry about leveling more though; you'll be fine to take on what's ahead regardless of what level you are. If you're struggling to survive, getting better food and trying to learn the patterns will likely help more than leveling up, since as you seem to have noticed, leveling actually doesn't make things much easier. It does give you more HP, but enemies also scale with your level to an extent, and will often hit harder as your level increases.

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer (Expert) - 5 years ago 4   0

Answers

1. For a first playthrough play it however you want. Seriously. You're virtually guaranteed to get a variation of the neutral endings. You can't get true pacifist first playthrough and you'd need to know what to do for a genocide run.

Just keep doing whatever it is you want to do and only worry about playing in specific ways in later playthroughs.

User Info: SirQuackberry

SirQuackberry (Expert) - 5 years ago 1   0
  2. In my opinion, it's best to do a pacifist/neutral run first (Don't kill a single enemy for both, and head to Undyne's house for Pacifist) before you do a genocide (Kill everything). The reason why is because it messes up the ending for Pacifist if you do a full-on genocide. As Ajogamer already said: "That really depends on how you want to play.", so it really is your choice.

User Info: 13xScarletx13

13xScarletx13 - 5 years ago 0   0
  3. If you're already in the Hotlands, there's no point in restarting the whole game to try and get one of the better endings. There's no way you can get the genocide ending at this point, if that's what you're worried about, so just do what you have to do to finish the game, and then if you want to go full pacifist, you can start a new game and use the knowledge you gained from your first run to avoid needing to LV up this time.

User Info: lungiolathback

lungiolathback - 5 years ago 0   0
  4. IF you haven't already finished; You don't /need/ to kill ANYONE on any run. You can if you wish to, but eh. Hotlands is pretty close to the end of the game, so I would also recommend just keep going through with what you've been doing.

User Info: TheMOTM

TheMOTM - 5 years ago 0   0
  5. As the other people said, on the first run you should always do Neutral/Pacifist. But, you are already in Hotlands, so, there's really no point in restarting and doing a pacifist. If you wanna' experience the rest of the game after you finish, I would suggest doing a Pacifist run. THEN a Genocide run. Plus, to do a true pacifist run you've gotta complete a Normal/Normal Pacifist run anyway. So. Y'know.

User Info: SadMax

SadMax - 5 years ago 0   0
  6. And no, you don't need to level up, Pacifist is SERIOUSLY not that hard.

User Info: HadiyaYousuf

HadiyaYousuf - 5 years ago 0   0
  7. You should understand the endings before you KILL anyone

User Info: LimeBell

LimeBell - 5 years ago 0   1
  8. Yes, you WILL get a neutral ending as the first thing. Yes, you HAVE to kill the final boss (Asgore, if you spare him after fighting he'll still die, same with Flowey). But if-and ONLY if-you haven't killed anyone, as well as spared Flowey, and given Undyne water, you can get the true ending. It doesn't matter if you haven't befriended Undyne and Papyrus, you can always go back and complete the friendship any time.

User Info: HadiyaYousuf

HadiyaYousuf - 5 years ago 0   1