Review by Dev

Reviewed: 01/03/02 | Updated: 01/03/02

An overall disappointment from Tecmo

On my never ending quest to find the best baseball game on the NES, I picked up Tecmo Baseball. I guess I expected a lot, considering Tecmo has made some great games. Tecmo Super Bowl is my favorite game on NES. Eagerly, I tried Tecmo Baseball out. That's when the disappointment set in...

*Graphics*
The graphics are, well, not very good. During the batting scene, your batter looks goofy and has oversized feet. After hitting the ball(good luck on doing so), the outfield appears, and your players are really tiny. In fact, they don't even look like baseball players. After each inning, the scoreboard appears, and will always have something dumb on it like ''Fight'' or ''Big Hit!'' My favorite one though is ''Tecmo is Number 1!'' It's written just like that too. That one cracked me up.

*Music and Sound*
In Tecmo tradition, the music is pretty cool. You'll get two in-game tunes, which is nice if one gets on your nerves. More music would have been nice. As for sound, it's your typical baseball layout. Bloops and beeps all around. Again, Tecmo could have done better there.

*Gameplay*
Well, don't get your hopes up. The angle when batting is from behind the pitcher(ala Bases Loaded). The pitcher can throw high and low pitches, but your bat can only swing at one level. This gets quite annoying. Also, the strike zone of your batter is REALLY stretched in this game. Pitchers will throw low, inside balls which will be called strikes. Getting a good hit is a challenge. Pitching, on the other hand, is really easy. Fielding is not though...slow outfielders are the death of every baseball game.

There are 5 modes of play in Tecmo Baseball: 1 player, 2 players, 1p Allstar game, 2p Allstar game, and watch, where you simply watch a game. Whoopie. I can hardly stand to play one.

*Replay Value*
Umm, unless you and your buddies dig horrible baseball games, you won't have much fun at all. In fact, don't buy this game at all.

Overall, I expected more from Tecmo. Maybe they should stick to football. This game can be picked up cheap, but I advise you not to buy it. Save your money, and pick up Tecmo's good game, Tecmo Super Bowl. Or if your little heart is set on baseball, try Baseball Stars or Baseball. Bye, bye Tecmo Baseball!

Rating:   2.0 - Poor