Review by Vegita

Reviewed: 04/05/00 | Updated: 04/05/00

Ah, a Simpsons game for the Nintendo. What a great idea...OH GOD NO! WHAT DID THEY DO???

Ranking:

Group Enjoyment: 2/10
Individual Enjoyment: 5/10
Challenge: 10/10
Ending: 5/10

Ah, a Simpsons game for the Nintendo. What an interesting idea! The basic plot is that aliens are trying to take over the Earth, and in order to do it, they're building a super weapon. To complete the weapon, though, they need to steal certain items from Springfield, like...purple items? Hats? Exit signs? It doesn't make sense, but that's what it is. Your job, as Bart, is to take these items, and then drop the evil boss at the end of each stage. So, does Bart save Springfield, or does Springfield finally become a lesser city than Shelbyville (by becoming a hole in the ground)?

Good Points:
This game is beyond challenging! The levels are huge, and this game has most every Simpsons character there is! You get to make fun of Moe by calling him, or you can stomp Sideshow Bob’s feet, or you can throw water balloons at Nelson, or you can stop the Crazed Babysitter Bandit’s rampage with suitcases!
The music is perfect! Some of it was the Simpsons’ theme, and other music is just fitting for the mood. The graphics were decent, portraying the various Simpsons characters faithfully. The ending is nice, but not quite worth ALL the effort you had to put into the game to get it.

Bad Points:
Well, like I said, it’s challenging. That’s because the play control is awful, the hit detection is terrible, and there are alot of critical jumps to be made, only to find that you missed the jump and died! And then you have to start all the way back! Very bad! And the levels are awfully long, with hard-to accomplish tasks, which, if you haven’t finished by the time you reach the end, will make you want to cry because...YOU HAVE TO GO BACK!!!!!

General Ratings:

Graphics: The graphics here are good, but there ARE a few problems with them. First of all, why don't the aliens look like the aliens from the series? That would have been pretty neat. And I'd also like to see Moe drawn CORRECTLY. I mean, they got Sideshow Bob right, but they didn't get Moe? Come on!

Sound: Ick. What the heck is with the sounds in this game? I mean, when you get hit, it makes the STUPIDEST sound EVER. Sure, the sounds of, say, jumping or picking up money are what you'd expect, but some of them are just stupid!

Music: Ah, the music. Some of it is good, some of it is better, and they really did the a god job on the Simpsons theme, considering it's on the Nintendo. There's really nothing much to say past that.

Originality: Ok, this game IS pretty original. The objectives are ludicrous, and the ways you accomplish them are even goofier, but the game is still just another platformer in the end.

Play Control: I'd already beaten this game once before I even found out you can run! That's kinda rediculous, but the hit detection is even worse when it comes to trying to land from a jump. And figuring out how to run is just stupid!

Enjoyment: The game is kinda fun, but after a while you really get bored with it. I mean, 2 hits, and you're dead? Who came up with THAT wonderful idea? The guys behind Contra?

Challenge: This game will destroy you. I mean it. If you beat this game, then you will automatically be a god at games like Mega Man and Super Mario Brothers. I mean it. Challenge shouldn't be based in not being able to pull off impossible jumps or not being able to grab 1 stinkin' hat. Come on, folks!

Ending: You'd have to see it to believe it. And if you did, then you'd just put your foot through the screen. It's just NOT worth the trouble you put in to see it. It IS neat graphically, but otherwise, don't bother.

Overall:
This game does have some redeeming qualities. The graphics are pretty good, as is the music. But the actual gameplay would kill you. Of course, if you want to get good at some OTHER games really good, play this one.