Review by wolverinefan

Reviewed: 04/30/07

A weak game based on a hit show

As a kid I was a huge Simpsons' fan. I really loved the games. Well, a month or so ago I was going through my entire game collection and seeing what games I haven't beat. Well, Bart VS the Space mutants was one of them. I could only ever get to the third stage and the second stage was enough to drive me insane. After a few hours of trying I have finally beat the game. Is it as good as the Simpson's arcade game or is it a bad cash in on a hit TV show? Read on!

Springfield is under attack by space mutants. Bart needs to rescue his family and save the town. Pretty simple and it works. It’s a NES game so it's not like you can expect a whole lot from it.

The game has some rather bland graphics. The level designs, past the first stage, are limited and really lacking in every department. What makes the first stage cool is that you can spray paint the purple stuff and turn it red and it does look and feel like Springfield. The character models are really bad to. Under detailed and ugly. Even the Simpsons look bad.

The sound in the game drives me insane. Sound effects were alright but nothing special. It's the freaking music in the game. It's the theme song over and over. It's not that great of a theme and hearing it that many times again and again can really drive someone insane.

Control in the game is kind of iffy at times. It's easy to jump, switch attacks and attack. The problem is that the game sets you up for making near impossible jumps that require perfect timing. It's rather difficult and makes the game a lot harder than it should be.

The game is split up into 5 levels. The first four has you saving your family and then the final is to save the town. Aliens and possessed people roam the levels. You need to dodge the aliens and jump on the possessed human’s heads.

Inside each level is a themed item. You need to collect X amount of them and make it to the end of the level. You also need to kill certain guys to gain letters to save your family and they will help you with he boss at the end of their level.

Besides a few gimmicks in the first level and the x-ray vision, the game doesn't have much to offer. The game is really hard and offers no continues so it becomes even harder. The few jumping hole bits are harder than they should be as well. I doubt if I'll ever replay this game again now.

I really can't recommend this game. It's not the worst game ever but it is heavily flawed. It feels just like any cash in from the 90's. Die hard Simpson fans may get a little more out of it than a regular gamer but even then I doubt if many will enjoy the game.

Story - 6/10