Review by Edge107

Reviewed: 04/25/03 | Updated: 04/25/03

Zelda clone??? I think not

This is my review for one of my favorite RPG’s on the NES console, Crystalis. First off, THIS GAME IS NOT A ZELDA CLONE!!! Both games only have one major similarity and that similarity will be described in the paragraphs to follow. With that said and done, here is my review.

Gameplay-10
This game’s battle system is like Zelda’s for as you roam around caves and other areas you will encounter enemies, but instead of warping into a separate battle screen, you fight them up close and personal with your sword and shield. This makes battling enemies much more exciting and makes it so you don’t get easily board fighting. Also as stated before you have a sword to fight with and a shield to protect you. You cannot buy swords; instead you will find 4 of them through out your journey. Now this game may seem more like an adventure game than like an RPG by now, but here is where the RPG traits take over. As you fight enemies you will get EXP, and once you kill an enemy, it will drop a coin that you collect to get money. With your money (as you may have guessed) you can buy better armor and items. Also as you roam the world you will constantly be learning new and cooler magic. But unlike in Final Fantasy, your magic is mainly healing or supportive magic. Your magic also plays a key role in getting you through the many towns, dungeons, caves, and fields. Gameplay is where this game excels in the most so I give it a 10

Graphics-9
When you first play this game the graphics may not seem like much compared to today’s modern game councils, but they are still really good for NES standards. Although the characters look far from life-like, they are not bad. It is like watching a cartoon. I personally really like the graphics for one main reason and that is how quick everything moves. Enemies constantly throw axes and rocks at you that move relatively quick and smooth. Also enemies will constantly fly into the screen, and these too run quick and smooth. It may seem like I greatly enjoy the graphics (which I do) and you may be wondering why I gave it a 9. Well it is all because of the main characters hair. Its purple. First off I hate purple and I don’t think anyone naturally has purple hair. It just annoys me, but hey, you might like the color purple so this wont be a problem for you. This annoying reason does not stop be from giving graphics a 9.

Sound-10
Sound is definitely my favorite aspect of this game. The music is very catchy and easily like able, especially the music when you roam around in a field. But the music is not just catchy and fun to listen too, it fits the mood very well. When you’re in a cave, there is a slow and kind of creepy music. In a town the music is cheerful and quite fast paced, giving a kind of bustling feeling like a thriving town or city would. But as mentioned before, my favorite music is when roaming a round a field. This has to be my favorite game music ever. If there were a CD of just this music I would buy two of them. Now to get off the field music, the boss music also fits the mood very well. It gives you an excited and evil feeling at the same time. For never being boring to listen too, I give Crytsalis’s music a 10.

Story-9
Although you don’t get much detail on Crystalis’s story and it isn’t completely clear to me, it still holds you till the end. It is set around the year 1997, when a huge war of technology nearly destroyed the Earth. Supposedly the Earths axis shifted and all the animals became mutated. It was then the humans erected a huge floating tower and vowed never to use technology and science ever again and so on and so forth. A little while after the tower was erected, an evil man and his army took over the floating tower and started to make technology. It is around this time a mysterious boy awakens from some sort of futuristic pod and is told by Zebu, who is one of the 4 wiseman, that it is his destiny to save the earth from the evil empire of Draygonia and to destroy Draygon (the evil man) who lives in floating tower. But of course there is a catch and that is in order to enter the floating tower you need to find all 4 of the elemental swords, which are wind, fire, water, and thunder to form the legendary sword (don’t want to give away anything) needed to enter the tower. Of course like all really good RPG’s there are many other little things you have to do in order to get the swords and many other things

Controls-9
The controls in Crystalis are pretty basic and easy to learn such as B is to attack and so on and so forth. But the controls can be very frustrating at times. You have to constantly go to the items menu just to switch swords to kill one enemy and then go back to the items menu switch swords again to kill another enemy then go back…(I think you get the picture). You also have to constantly switch bracelets, magic, and items, which can become quite annoying. I also find it extremely frustrating to hit flying enemies for it is very hard to press the button just at the right time to hit them. But because the controls are so basic and easy to learn it still gets a 9.

Time-10
Crystalis is a fairly lengthy RPG that never gets boring or dull. When you buy Crystalis you get your moneys worth believe me. My first time playing Crystalis took me around 30-45 hours to beat. My second time still took me around 25-30 hours so you know you are getting a quality RPG when you buy Crystalis. I am currently working on my third setting in Crystalis and it still has yet to become boring. As you could probably tell Crystalis hasn’t become boring for me yet and I bet it wont be boring or dull for you too so I give time a 10.

Fun Factor-10
A game cant be in my top 10 favorite games list without being fun, and Crystalis certainly fits that criteria very well. RPGs can sometimes get very boring, especially while leveling up, but Crystalis is not one of those games. Every little battle with an enemy is exciting and sometimes humorous. I say it’s humorous because it is quite funny to see a little kid hacking away at a serpent or a big blue blob. The game also has some funny moments that I will keep secret for I don’t want to ruin anything. The only time this game really gets annoying is when you are in a very long cave that never seems to end, or while your in a maze. Gaining money to buy armor can sometimes be annoying for money can be scarce at times. Even though fun factor has some flaws, it still doe not stop me from giving it a 10.

Overall
Gameplay-10
Graphic-9