Review by Braben

Reviewed: 01/11/04

Another Hudson classic.

Ah!, Adventure Island, this game brings me a lot of happy memories, because it was one of my first video games, but you see, I don’t consider this game good only because it was one of my firsts, this game is classic, that means you can pick the game and start playing anytime and it is going to be as good as the first day, that is what makes a classic, and that is what happens with Adventure Island.

The thing that makes Adventure Island different is that we have to be faster than, for example, Super Mario Bros., because in this game if we stand still doing nothing we will run out of food and die. Food can be found everywhere, and the different types of them only give up more or less points, so it is the same if you eat and apple or a tomato because you just have to eat as much as possible. At the end of each stage our remaining “food bar” and the rest of items will give us points.

Our “food meter” will constantly go down as the time passes, if we get hurt with a rock or a small campfire that will also lower our bar, but if an enemy hurts us we are history.

To help us reach the end of each stage we will fin items and some weapons hidden inside eggs, we have axes and walnuts (or at least for me they look like walnuts, maybe they are stones of god knows what), a fairy that makes us invincible for a short period of time, etc, then we also have a skateboard to advance faster, (with helmet and everything) this skateboard is not that useful sometimes, if the stage has a lot of platforms then it can be dangerous, but don’t forget you’ll get extra points if you manage to beat the stage with the skate, not to mention is a lot more fun.

The like in most of this classic games the gameplay is simply perfect, even while riding the skateboard the controls are perfect, it is unbelievably easy to do absolutely everything, you won’t find the slightest problem while playing.

The graphics are as good as necessary, colorful and nice, and the same happens with the music, nice and somehow catchy, the way it should be. For such and old game the graphics and music are very good.

As I said at the beginning this game is a classic, and while it’s second part renders this one completely obsolete, it is still a classic, and classic games always deserve a special place in everyone’s video game library.

”My lack of vocabulary and grammatical errors (if there’s any) are because I’m not from an English speaking country, sorry about that.”