Review by Ofisil

Reviewed: 06/29/09

Who the hell plays these games???

Adventure Island is a Platform game developed by Hudson. Adventure Island is a good game… if you plan to complete a couple of levels that is, after that the game becomes one of the most insanely, unfairly and frustratingly hard games you’ve ever seen!!!

Story: N/A

Some bad guy has kidnapped your girlfriend and you, the Tarzan wannabe must save her. Why do I get a feeling that I’ve seen that before?

Replay Value: 3/10

The way I see it this game had the potential to be an excellent game. The basic formula is this, you have a boy that must constantly run because of an energy bar that depletes quickly and is rechargeable by fruits gathered while running around, avoiding enemies and traps while at it. It’s a great idea that was very badly executed for 1 reason, the insane difficulty. The level design is just very frustrating, you’ll lose a lot of lives just because you can’t see what is some steps ahead of you, for example you are riding a skateboard, a special item that makes you very fast but makes you move only forward, then you see a gap with a moving platform that needs you to wait a bit and then jump something that makes the great otherwise skateboard obsolete! But after some levels the game becomes so insanely hard that even when you know what’s up ahead of you, chances are that you still wont be able to avoid the trap most of the time.

Graphics: 5.5/10
Design: 5/10

Nothing special visually. Everything is very simple since this game is quite old, but Super Mario Bros is older and had more imagination. Here your enemies will be frogs, birdies and unimaginative things like that. Sprites have 2-3 colors at most and very simple design. Levels are divided between the grassland, the water level, the forest, the dungeon and the mountain and since the game is quite big you’ll get bored of them quite fast.

Music: 5/10

The music is quite catchy to say the truth but gets boring very fast, but at least isn’t bad or irritating. Sound effects consist of the typical blips & blops of all platform games of its era.

Positives:
-You must constantly be on the move!

Negatives:
-Very bad level design
-Extremely hard, almost unfair

Also Play:
Adventure Island (Series)(NES)
Ghosts ‘N Goblins (NES) (FOR THE TRUE MASOCHIST!!!)
Super Adventure Island (SNES)

Overall: 4.7/10

I have a question… WHO THE HELL PLAYS THESE GAMES?!? I don’t know and I don’t care… it was a chore for me to complete it with the aid of an emulator and I can’t see how someone would really enjoy it without cheating. There’s a big difference between extremely challenging and unfair and this game is unfair…

Rating:   2.0 - Poor

Product Release: Adventure Island (US, 09/30/88)