Review by Aganar

Reviewed: 01/25/03 | Updated: 01/25/03

Like Blades of Steel...only Soccer!

That's right folks! The most popular sport in the entire world is on your NES, and its...ok. The title really does say all you need to know. It is Blades of Steel's ancestor with a Soccer theme. Unfortunately, the graphics are not as good, there is no fist fights, and its not as deep.

Well, this WAS released in 1985. So, I guess you couldn't expect much. The characters look like, well...sprites. They have absolutely no detail on them whatsoever. In fact, you'd almost thing they were Atari graphics. But who's one to judge? This was one of their first games. Also, before there was the actual SQUAD doing ice-capades, there were...cheerleaders!

Control: 7/10
Uhh...yeah. You run around, you control players AND your goalie. You press one button to shoot when you are near the goal, and another to pass, as well as the shoot button to switch characters when you don't have the ball. Real complex control here, folks. I'm really at a loss for words here.

For the time, it was sort of interesting, you've gotta give it that. Granted any sports game past 89' is probably better than this, but its not too bad. The game is pretty simple. Get the ball, dribble down the court, pass a couple times, shoot. Steal the ball from computer. Shoot again. Block enemy shot, etc. Its pretty simple, mildly amusing, and somewhat addictive. So, I can't complain.

Sound/Music: 5/10
Sound and Music, or lack there of, I should say. There is very little music throughout the game. There's the title theme, some minor themes that sometimes play in the background, and of course that cheer-leader dance. Sound is really nothing more than the pass sound, a dribblng across grass, shot sound, etc.

Replay Value: 7/10
Well, you can adjust the difficulty. You can also play as different teams, although they all play exactly the same. The only real draw to the game for replay value is the multi-player that they included. I guess that's sort of fun.

The game is completely average, to say the least. By today's standards I wouldn't rate it anything higher than a 4, but you must give them some credit considering this was one of the NES launch titles, I believe. However, with this game I have created a solid law about NES sports games: Always get the Gameboy ones. They are MUCH better.

Pros:
Cheerleaders are nice
Decent multi-player
It's soccer!

Cons:
Lousy graphics
Kinda Boring
Kind of hollow

To Buy or Not To Buy:
Just get Blades of Steel. Trust me, you're not missing out on much.