Review by Vegita

Reviewed: 04/11/00 | Updated: 04/11/00

A refined Dragon Ball RPG spanning the entire series!

Sound Effects: 6/10
Music: 6/10
Originality: 8/10
Play Control: 7/10
Group Enjoyment: 3/10
Individual Enjoyment: 6/10
Challenge: 4/10
Ending: 6/10

A second attempt at a Dragon Ball RPG for the Nintendo, this game went back to the beginning of the series for it's plot. It covers all of Dragon Ball (no Dragon Ball Z here, folks), spanning Gokuu's first meeting with Bulma to Gokuu's triumphant defeat of Piccolo Junior. Along the way, Gokuu makes new friends, beats up new enemies, and collects the Dragon Balls a few times, all while trying to save the world from the Demon King Piccolo, and his foul offspring. So, it it the end the world as we know it, or does Gokuu feel fine?

Good Points:
Using the same card movement/fighting idea from the previous game probably wasn't the BEST idea in the world, but the programmers managed to polish it off so it is MUCH easier to work with. Items are easier to get, fights aren't quite as common, the puzzles aren't as hard, and the battles are more fun to watch. This game is cool!

Bad Points:
Well, the card system still carries some flaws with it, like no matter how strong or fast your character is, if you get a 1-star attack card, and your enemy gets a 5-star attack card, your enemy will still get to attack, and you have to defend. That doesn't seem very fair OR realistic. Not that Dragon Ball was realistic much...

General Ratings:

Graphics: The graphics in this game were great. The menus aren't a dull orangish color any more, and the battles aren't played out primarily in a black background. The game doesn't come off quite as dreary this way, and it is drawn better this time around. Good job, folks!

Sound: Slightly above average. There are sounds of people getting smacked around whenever they get smacked. Makes sense, right? At least it's not that irritating sound you hear when you get hit in Bart vs. the Space Mutants...

Music: Again, slightly above average. Come on, what else is there to say? ''I loved it, it was better than Cats. I'm going to see it again and again.''

Originality: This woulda/coulda been higher, but this is, more or less, a sequel. The fighting and moving concepts are the same, although the plot, enemies, and goals of the game are different. Well, ok, not really. In the previous game, you had to seek out and destroy the evil Demon King Piccolo. In this one, you have to do everything in Dragon Ball, INCLUDING destroying the evil Demon King.

Play Control: It's an RPG! You don't really need to worry about this, now do you?

Enjoyment: It might hold someone else's attention for a while, but it's just not that much fun unless you're playing. Oh well, what're you gonna do?

Challenge: Snore...the previous game had a lot of challenge (although not for the right reasons), but this one has practically none! You get stronger way too easily! Then again, I guess that's because whenever you get a level up, you get a certain amount of points to distribute among your attributes.

Ending: Well, it's pretty good. It reminds me of the ending for Little Ninja Bros. I'm just glad I'm not an epileptic.

Overall:
Overall, a lot of the problems that were in the previous game were rectified in this one. The fighting system, while not perfect, was fixed up in this one, as were the sound and music. The plot line is much larger, too, providing you with a longer game, too. I like it. I just wish I could give it a higher score.