Review by Vegita

Reviewed: 04/02/00 | Updated: 04/02/00

Almost Straight from the movie.

Ranking:

Individual Enjoyment: 6/10
Challenge: 7/10
Ending: 6/10

Good Points:
A unique game based off of the immensely popular Anime movie, Akira. This game takes you all the way from where Tetsuo, Kanada and his friends are arrested (and that maniac with a grenade is) to the final battle with...well, if you haven’t seen the movie, I’ll save it for you. So, does this game find Akira, or does it get crushed underneath a Clown’s motorcycle?

Graphics: Great graphics. They’re not STRAIGHT out of the movie (since this is a Nintendo game), but they’re very close. I like it all.

Sound Effects: They’re decent. Don’t know what else to say.

Music: It ranks just as high as the sound effects, and with good reason.

Originality: Now THIS is an original idea. It’s like the movie, only it’s kinda like an RPG. Let me give you an example: you start out being interrogated by the police. You have to choose what you’re going to say to them. After that, you’re outside with your friends, and you have a little pointer-finger (kinda like a mouse) to use. You can look at the background, talk to your friends, or try to leave. I LOVE this game! It’s like a Tex Murphy adventure.

Play Control: You move the cursor, it moves. Gee, that was hard.

Enjoyment: Ok, so no one over in America’s actually seen this game. That’s ok...if you’ve seen the movie, though, and can read Japanese, this game will probably hold you attention.

Challenge: Some of the game is straight out of the movie, while other parts are quite difficult to figure out. I mean, in the movie they didn’t actually have to deal with that guy with a grenade...

Ending: It’s the ending from the movie! Duh!

Bad Points:
Well, this game was never brought over here, yet the movie was. Why not? They could have published the game, then said it’s based off the popular movie (which no one had heard of, either). Then people would have played the game, then watched the movie and been VERY impressed. But that’s just me and my crazy marketing schemes.