Review by matt91486

Reviewed: 06/16/00 | Updated: 07/18/01

Why aren't games out there now this good?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project (TMNT 3 as I will call it sometimes in the review from now on.) is my all-time favorite game on the Nintendo Entertainment System. TMNT 3 has plenty of innovations. It was one of the first games to feature background interaction. For instance, in one level seemingly parked cars back out of their parking spots into you and your turtle friends. You can also fall through open manhole covers. Enemies knock down signs on top of you. They pop out of windows, doors, and bushes. Different things rolling down a level can injure you badly. The floor can break under you in some levels. All of these background interactions here gave way to the ones we have now. My favorite level in this game is the second one. You jump on a jet ski and knock members of 'The Foot' into the ocean as they whiz past.

GRAPHICS--8
For a Nintendo Entertainment System game, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project has amazing graphics. The characters are all quite large on the screen, and detailed. This is especially true for the bosses. Another nice addition to this title is the way you tell how hurt a boss is. The boss will start to flicker. I like this better than I like the life meter in most games today. (In some games this just would not work.) When you have a life meter somewhere else on the screen, you have to look up at a different place. Sometimes in this time it takes, the boss can get a cheap shot in, which maybe all the boss needs to gain the upper hand on the road to victory. If a boss is flickering red when it is low on health, then you can just keep attacking the boss, not looking somewhere else and letting the boss gain the upper hand, because the boss will flicker red when he is nearly finished off.

MUSIC--7
The music is mostly your typical NES fair, mostly some very synthisizerish tunes. There is the occasional excellent song. The first level is one of them. But do not let that fool you.l Most of the songs are not that great. It starts out strong and goes downhill from there, making the occasional trip up the hill again.

CONTROL--10
Controling is a breeze. Even the special moves are easy to pull off (A+B at the same time). You can use a variety of jumping attacks, weapon attacks, and dodges. Everything is done easily with only one or two buttons. The background interaction does not affect the control negatively at all. It in fact, probably made the developers spend more time on it to perfect it.

FUN--10
Another co-op game from the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System. {Sigh.} The only co-op games we have out there now are Twisted Metal 4 and Perfect Dark. {Sigh.} Back in those days nearly every game had a co-op mode. {Sigh.} We want more of them! The game still offers a lot as a 1-player game also. The challenge is greater in a 1-player game, but it still can be difficult at times in the 2-player mode. A really fun thing about this game is attempting to anticipate where The Foot soldiers pop out from next. It creates an interesting feel since they could come from any window, door, car, or street light. (They can slide down it.)

CLOSING STATEMENT
This game is really better than many of the games out there today. So why has Ultra Games not put out a sequel? And if they do not exist anymore, why has no one else picked up the liscense? Someone please do! Here are the things they could do to improve a sequel.
#1. Actually bring us a sequel. Some company has to pick up the liscense, or if Ultra Games still exists and has it, play TMNT 3 a lot, and be able to duplicate everything great about this game in a sequel. I do not care that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are not popular now. People would still buy the game if it was fun. We are not that shallow. And a good game just may bring them back into popularity, which would make the company holding the liscense a ton of money.
#2. Keep the game sprites. I do not know why, but I still like the occasional 2D sidescroller. I have to always keep my NES hooked up to the TV because no new ones come out anymore.
#3. Better yet, give us a 2D and a 3D mode. Give us a choice between a classic turtle mode and a new 3D mode. This will enable us to have more fun with the game, and it will give it a higher replay value (something I do not even grade.)
#4. Give us the occasional Splinter appearance. Seeing their leader would make sense; it would help us to know what is going on.
#5. Let us have more than one path for our levels. Have them return after each level or 'mission' to their abandoned subway station home. (From Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Secret of the Ooze {motion picture}.) Have Splinter give them options on where they should defeat The Foot next. It would add even more to the replay value.
#6. Make multiplayer an important part of the game. Since there are so many different types of members of The Foot, one could easily choose from one of many normal foot soldier types, each with a different weapon, The Foot bosses, Shredder, Splinter, and our 4 heroes, Michealangelo, Donatello, Rapheal, and Leonardo, for a Goldeneye style multiplayer battle. And then there could be a 4-player co-op mode. But do not divide the screen into 4 sections as you would in a multiplayer battle. Instead, make all 4 stay on the same screen like this game does. It makes it easier to see where you are. Make sure to add some normal enemies in the 4-player co-op mode.
#7. You all knew this was coming. ''Cowabunga dude!''

OVERALL--10