Review by Brak

Reviewed: 07/15/00 | Updated: 07/15/00

Am I the only one to find this a great game?

I've noticed all the 6s this game has recieved. Well, it may just be me, but I find this a welcome addition to the Mega Man series. A new enemy is in this game: Dr. Cossack (I must admit that I was mistaken when I first reviewed this game and named him Dr. Bright. I hadn't played the game until a while, but this time I'm writing the review after playing it 10 minutes ago.) Anyway, this Doc is a Russian guy who is forced under Dr. Wily to create 8 new robots to stop Mega Man. The robots are Toad Man, Drill Man, Dust Man (how wussy!) Pharoah Man, Bright Man, Ring Man, Dive Man, and Skull Man. Unfortunately, a lot of these attacks are from earlier games with different sprites, which is probably what brings the game down. Drill Man's attack is similar to Crash Man, Pharoah Man's is fairly similar to Heat Man, Ring Man's is similar to Shadow Man, Skull Man's is similar to Wood Man, Bright Man's is an enhanced version of Flash Man's, and Dive Man's is a lot like Magnet Man's. Well, Despite all this, I still liked the game a lot, for Mega Man's Mega Buster is chargable, and there are 2 hidden items you can find: the balloon, and the wire. The balloon is a lot like Item 1 from Mega Man 2, while the wire is a Bionic commando like rope that allows you to hang onto the ceiling (but you can't swing.) Also, bosses are harder to defeat, and the stages are a lot longer than before. Oh well, maybe I just like it because I can remember having a lot of fun playing it when I was 6 (back then, the game was new.)

Honestly, I like these graphics the best out of all the Mega Man games for the NES. Everything has much detail put into it, and the bosses are very colorful and different looking from each other. The backgrounds are very significant, and hardly anything blends in the background, if at all.

Well, like I said in the earlier review, the music is a mixed bag. Some good (Skull Man, Dive Man, Pharaoh Man, Bright Man, Drill Man,) While the rest is atrochius (Toad Man, Dust Man, Ring Man.) I can see why EPoetker hated Dust Man's music so much. The sound effects have little change from Mega Man 3, which is some of the best you'll hear on the NES (BTW, I must admit I overlooked Mega Man 3 when I reviewed it. Expect a new review for that game eventually.)

It has the same old school gameplay, and I enjoyed it a lot. The enemies take more hits in this game, mainly because of the new Mega Buster. The bosses are a lot harder as well, and the majority of them are quicker than the ones from the earlier games. This game requires more jumping skill than Mega Man 2 and 3 did, which is part of the reason why this game is tougher than 2 or 3. Also, you can only carry up to 9 lives in this game, while in 3 you could carry more than that (unless that's because my copy is defective.) Dr. Cossack's level is a lot of fun to venture through, and is pretty tough. There are 2 castles in this game, Dr. Cossack's, and Dr. Wily's. Each containing at least 4 stages.

The challenge is high for a Mega Man game, with the more difficult enemies and bosses. However, compared to all of the other games out there for the NES, I still find it a bit easy. However, it's much better than having an overly frustrating game!

The replay value isn't bad. I always come back every once in a while a boss or two again for fun.

Not nearly as bad as everyone says it is. I liked it a lot, although it might be because this was the first Mega Man game I ever played.

Would you recommend this