Review by plasmabeam

Reviewed: 07/08/04 | Updated: 11/15/05

Though it's rather easy for a Mega Man game, MM4 is still quite fun

I recently picked up Mega Man Anniversary Collection for my PS2, and I started off by playing Mega Man 4. I wanted to try something different from everyone else (Many people were playing the highly praised Mega Man 2 or 3), so I tried out Mega Man 4. Soon, it would become my favorite Mega Man game, until I played MM3. I loved this game from start to finish, and you probably will, too. Just don't expect it to be as challenging as the rest of the series.

Graphics - 8/10
Mega Man 4 looks like all the other NES Mega Mans, which is good, because they all look great. You've seen it before. I always liked Mega Man's NES sprite, and it looks as great as ever in MM4. the only difference is that backgrounds are more detailed. The bosses also look nicer. Although the changes aren't big, the graphics still look sharp.

Sound - 10/10
The music in this game is incredible. The tunes are upbeat and catchy. I love this game's music more than any other game in the series. Dive Man's stage music blew my mind. The music also fits the game rather well. The sounds are the same as they've always been with the blasting noise and jumping noise.

Story - 5/10
The story is a bit different from the usual. This time, a man named Dr. Cossack has created eight robots to defeat Mega Man. As Mega Man, you must defeat Dr. Cossack's robots and stop him. It's a simple story, but it's nice to have something different from the old "Stop Dr. Wily" story.

Controls - 9/10
The controls are as solid as they can be. Mega Man still moves and jumps well. in addition to the ability to jump, shoot, and slide, Capcom added a new ability: you can now charge Mega Man's main weapon (now called the Mega Buster). Charging adds a lot more fun and strategy to the game. You can hold your charge as long as you want. Now, you can start boss fights off with a big shot from the Mega Buster and work from there. It also adds strategy to the levels, since a charged shot can go through more than one enemy before it's gone. Other than the new ability, all the others work great. Sliding is still smooth, and jumping is still responsive. The controls work almost perfectly, and the only thing that annoys me is this: If you get hit in mid-air you always fall backwards, which can be a real pain on some levels that require large amounts of jumping.

Gameplay - 8/10
This is basically the same formula used in the past three Mega Man games. You walk, jump, and shoot your way through levels in order to reach the boss. Then, you defeat the boss and receive a special weapon that some other boss is weak against. Finding each boss's weakness adds to the fun in these games. Although it may be frustrating for some, it is a joy to go through each level as many times as necessary. The levels in this game are very fun, with a good amount of enemies. After you defeat all the Robot Masters, you go to the castle levels. I have one major complaint about this game: it doesn't save your energy tanks after you quit and come back in Mega Man 3. So, don't bother saving them or stocking up, if you're gonna take a break or quit. It's also getting obvious that Capcom is running out of names for the bosses (come on... Dive Man?!). There are some cool bosses in Mega Man 4, though. Although Capcom keeps sticking to the same formula, the games are still fun and a blast to play. The game is also pretty short like most Mega Man games.

Replay value - 5/10
There are two hidden special items in the game. Although it's hardly anything at all, it's a good excuse to search through the levels again. Mega Man games usually don't have much replay value, but they're fun to beat a second or third time.

Difficulty
I think this is one of the easier Mega Man games. It does have a few hard levels in it, though. I think the ability to charge brought the difficulty down a bit, and a lot of people criticize MM4 for being too easy. I enjoyed it, despite the fact it's a breeze compared to the previous three titles in the series.

Overall - 8/10
Well, as I said before, it's one of my favorite Mega Man games. I'll admit that it's a bit too easy, but that doesn't make it terrible by any means.