Review by Ranma

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 01/13/01

"A worthy sequel to a worthy game."

Mega Man 4 marks the beginning of the Mega Man we know today - this is the game where the Mega Buster is introduced, as well as the optional extra adaptors you can obtain, both of which are great additions!

The graphics in the game really aren't too much different from Mega Man 3, but the better-looking enemies and bosses are noticeable. Additionally, some of the backgrounds really rock, such as the rain in Toad Man's stage and the fire in Dust Man's stage. Mega Man STILL looks the same, and it STILL works! ^_~

Music/Sound: 9/10

Mega Man 4's music surpasses all of the NES Mega Man music except for Part 5. There really isn't a track I don't like a lot, except maybe Ring Man's stage and the Boss Theme. Everything else is great. Crisp, upbeat synthesized music is what the good NES music is all about. The Dr. Wily stage musics are good in particular.

Story: N/A

The story for Mega Man 4 is certainly better than Part 3's, as it's more easily understood. The introduction tells us the supposed introduction of Mega Man; how he used to be a boy named Rock who volunteered to become a fighting robot to save humanity from Dr. Wily. Personally, I don't think Capcom knew WHAT they liked at the time, so I think they just made this up as a cover-up - what I said in my Mega Man 1 review still stands for me. Anyway, a new scientist named Dr. Cossack appears this time with a new army of eight robots - Toad Man, with the ability to summon acid rain at will; Bright Man, who can emit a blinding, freezing light; Pharaoh Man, who can scorch foes with his fiery powers; Ring Man, who can throw razor-sharp rings at his opponents; Dust Man, who can shoot, uh, dust clots at his enemies; Skull Man, who can protect himself with a skull barrier; Dive Man, who can fire tracking missiles, and Drill Man, who can fire powerful drill bombs to destroy the target. Of course, all isn't what it seems, and you can't help but wonder if Dr. Cossack is really the madman behind this...

Control: 10/10

The control is perfect, as always with a NES Mega Man game. The only addition is the Mega Buster; hold B after firing the normal shot to power up for a Power Shot. It does 3 times the normal damage as a normal shot.

Fun Factor: 8/10

This game is definitely fun, and not nearly as redundant as Mega Man 3. However, by the time you reach Dr. Wily's castle, the game does seem to drag along a bit. You just kinda wanna get there and beat it. The rematch with the eight Bosses is, of course, still here. The main cool thing about Mega Man 4 is the addition of the extra optional items that make Mega Man's quest MUCH easier; in this game's case, the Balloon Adaptor, found in Pharaoh Man's stage, and the Wire Adaptor, found in Dive Man's stage. Finding and getting these is pretty cool and even more helpful. Have fun.

Mega Man 4 is one of the better installments of the NES series and is arguably the best one up to this point in Mega Man history. It's certainly better than Mega Man 1 and 3, but I don't know about 2. But nonetheless, Mega Man fans won't be disappointed with this one!