Review by Xi

Reviewed: 08/28/01 | Updated: 12/21/01

A classic army game on the NES

Jackal is a game that reminds me of those old war movies. It involves a kind of one person versus the other army kind of scenario. It seems impossible.

In this game you are in control of a jeep that is sent into enemy territory to locate and destroy the enemy base. Along the way you will need to rescue prisoners of war that were caught and have been imprisoned beyond enemy lines. It is not an easy task, but I am sure you will be up to it.

There is not a whole lot of story to the game. It is a pretty classic storyline, but really for this game the story is not a needed strong point.

The graphics for this game are not bad for the NES system. They are not terribly great, either. A lot of the enemies are the same and are not too animated. That is why I gave it an average rating. Still the graphics are not bad, especially for the NES system.

This game can be challenging. You have to keep on your toes or your lives will drain down fast. Also, even though a lot of repetition, it is still fun and exciting to play. The first couple of times it is not all that great, but once you get used to the controls and how things are done in the game, it becomes much more exciting. Also two people can play simultaneously, making no wait for your turn to come if you have a friend over.

Game Design: 5/10
The game design is simple. Each stage is different and has its own qualities, but there is always a similarity that keeps any one stage from truly being original. Still it does change around enough for me to give it an average rating.

Reply Value: 2/10
Once you have gone through this game, it seems like a pain to do it again, or if you get half way through the game, I feel the need to just shut it off instead of going through level by level again. Also after you have beaten the game, there is not much more to experience in the game. It is pretty straightforward.

Conclusion
Jackal is a great game if you are looking for a quick thing to do. The whole game is around an hour or two long. What it lacks most is its reply value. The game is played about the same way every time, which makes it boring to come back to after you have experienced it. Overall I would suggest just renting the game before you buy it. Mostly likely it will be fun at first, but it does lack reply value.

Rating:   2.0 - Poor