Review by Bentone

Reviewed: 01/17/02 | Updated: 01/17/02

Like sports sims? Well don't try this game then!

Wow. Going into this game was like walking to the principles office...you know there's a 10% chance that it's good news. I loathe sports games. Avoid them like the plague. Every once in a while, though, a shiny speck of hope for the world of sports appears on my radar, and I'm glad I looked into it. One of these 'specks' is entitled ''10 Yard Fight'' - a football game, if you couldn't tell by the title. I certainly didn't expect a football game with that title, so it piqued my interest. By the way, how cool a title is that? '10 Yard Fight', it sounds so dramatic. One of the reasons I shy away from sports games is the title. Stuff like ''NFL Super Hathaway Crew '98'' does not sound too inviting to me. Well, ah, On to the review!!!

The graphics suck. Yes, there is no denying that. These are the embodiment of first gen NES graphics. You control the unnamed 'Blue & White team' and go against the 'Slightly Red High School team', the 'Orange College team', the 'Mostly Red Pro team', the cool 'Black & Blue Playoff team', and finally the 'Fairies'. Er, I mean the 'Pink Super bowl team'. You always play on the same green & white striped rectangle...there is no variety in stadiums here. What you don't get in graphics though....

....isn't made up for with good music. Just as prehistoric as the graphics, the uber-simple bits of 'music' don't really get on your nerves. Heck, even the '1st Down' ditty doesn't make me grind my teeth. Although not much more advanced than say, 1942, nothing here is distracting or sanity shattering. So the sound isn't too great, but...

...the play control and gameplay do make up for most of what the game is lacking. The only complaint I have about the control here is that it can be tough tackling guys at first. But you do get used to it, and soon you'll be sacking the QB & Running Backs repeatedly. The rest of the game's controls are pretty effortless. Here's the moment of truth though - if you are a diehard stat freak or football sim-addict, there's a good chance you won't like this game. There is NO PLAYBOOK. There are NO STATS. There are NO PENALTIES. Heck, there are NO NAMED TEAMS. But if you can look past all the details, you're in for a short, arcadey-wild ride. 2-player can be awesome if you can find someone else who likes older games and doesn't care about realism.

Bottom Line? If you like older games and aren't the type to salivate at the thought of micro managing a football team, this game is good for some mindless fun.

Fun: 8
Graphics: 5
Sound: 5
Replay: 9

Annoyance:
Figuring out how to line up tackles & stuff is annoying, plus you can't change which player you're controlling on defense.
Great Moment: Absolutely destroying the opposing team once you get the hang of it.