Review by Armored Core Expert

Reviewed: 04/02/01 | Updated: 04/02/01

This game's first good review

After seeing people blast this game, I figured that I should come out and talk about some of the good things that this game has to offer. 10 Yard Fight is the first football game for the NES, and one of the launch games. It is a port from the arcade game of the same name. Most people think of it as sub-standard trash, but for some reason, I think of it diffrently.

GRAPHICS: 5/10

Some people don't like this game because the graphics are bad. Folks, graphics don't make the game. I'll admit, 10 Yard's graphics are merely average for a first generation NES game. If you look closely, though, you will see that the graphics aren't terrible. Notice that the ball gets larger as it travels higher, and gets smaller as it lands. Note that before a play, the quarterback's head moves from side to side. Also, there's an animated referee who comes onto the field after every play. Because of these little animations, the graphics get a 5/10. If it didn't have decent animation, the graphics probably would have gotten 3-4/10.

One problem with the graphics is that there is some sprite flickering whenever multiple players enter the same vicinity. That isn't terribly annoying, but it brings the joy of the game down just a tad. The overall graphics are plain, but they do the job. At least the players have 3 colors on their uniforms and the field is green.

SOUND/MUSIC: 4/10

The music for this game isn't all that great. I would buy a soundtrack, if they made it, but just to honor this game. The music includes a little victory tune, a pre-game tune, and a drum piece that plays while you're moving down the field. Overall, the music isn't spectacular.

The sound effects are okay. There is a nice crowd noise that plays after a first down, a score, or a long pass. There's a sliding sound when you try and tackle someone, and a nice SWFFFFT sound when you throw the ball. There's also a POOOMMPT sound when the ball is kicked, and a whistle sound when the ref stops a play.

GAMEPLAY: 9/10

This is where the game shines. 10 Yard Fight isn't trying to be a totally accurate football simulation. It was originally an arcade game, designed to be played for just a few minutes. The original arcade version (at least the one that I played) has your team trying to score a touchdown in a limited amount of time and win the game. It got boring after a while. For the NES version, they made 10 Yard Fight a full football game instead of being just the last quarter.

Some people say that this is a terrible arcade conversion. I say that they made it BETTER. The NES version is about 4 times as long, and more challenging. The graphics remained about the same, as well as the sound. The only thing that was changed from the arcade version was the gameplay, and that was made better.

When you start off in 10 Yard Fight, you have to pick either a 1 player or a 2 player game. I've only played 1 Player, since none of my friends like this game. After selecting 1 player, you have to choose the difficulty level of the game. There are 5 levels: High School, College, Professional, Playoff and Super Bowl. I like to start off in High School and work my way up through the ranks. Each rank, your opponent's uniforms change. The High School team wears gray helmets, red shirts and white pants. The college team wears white pants, black helmets and no shirts. (Not very safe, huh?) The Professional team wears white pants, red shirts and black helmets. The Playoff team looks the coolest, with black shirts, white pants and blue helmets. Finally, the Super Bowl team wears pink shirts, purple helmets and (as always) white pants.

After selecting your opponent, they punt you the ball and you, surrounded by defenders, have to run it as far upfield as possible. It becomes fairly tough to do in the higher difficulty levels, since your opponents are smarter, faster and stronger. After you get tackled or run out of bounds, you start playing normally. Your team gets into position. That guy running from side to side is the guy who you can pass to. Once you hike the ball, you can either run it or pass it to the little guy who has his hands up. Passing is much more dangerous than it is in modern football games. If there are any opponents in line with your pass, there's bound to be an interception. Therefore, running plays are much more useful than in modern football games. In fact, some modern football games I've played make running plays virtually impossible.

Once you either score a touchdown, field goal, or you are forced to give up possession to your opponent, you have to play defense. You can tackle now. At the start of a play, you can choose between two defenders to play as by pressing the A or B button. Then, your opponent hikes the ball, and the fun begins.

I guess that my point is that people are used to seeing football games that attempt to simulate actual football. 10 Yard Fight is kind of like the precursor to NFL Blitz. It's not very realistic, but it's fun to play. (Unlike NFL Blitz at times.) There are no penalties, interception is very easy, and the interface is simple. Breaking tackles, dodging defenders and running for 70 yards and making a touchdown, for some reason, feels really good in this game. In the earlier matches, it happens almost too often, though.

CONTROL: 7/10

The play control is slow, but responsive and fluid. This is one of the few 1st-gen NES games where you can move diagonally! The control is good for what it needs to be.

REPLAY VALUE: 8/10

Playing with friends, getting higher and higher scores, trying to beat the Super Bowl team without letting them score a point... If your attention span is long enough, this game will provide hours of old-school entertainment.

OVERALL: 8/10

10 Yard Fight is the first NFL Blitz. It is a non-simulation football game. It has average graphics and sound, decent control and replay value, and pretty good gameplay. Although it is not the perfect football game, it's still a solid first generation NES title.