Review by SomaCruz

Reviewed: 05/02/03 | Updated: 05/02/03

Bloody freaking wonderful. Incredible, nothing else like it.

I would have to say the Mother, although being primitive in graphics and features and playability, is absolutely the best game ever. I have seen many good games, but the genius behind this incredible masterpiece is unparalled. The struggle between Ninten and his allies between the alien invader Giegue was masterfully written by Itoi, a master story writer in my opinion. You rule, Itoi!

For the NES days, the graphics are quite impressive. Characters models are very well done, including the NPC's and enemy battle sprites. Some of the graphics were manipulated in a way to make it look ''funny''. Such as the the infamous Smoking Crow enemy. (edited in the American ROM version of this game. Damn NOA!) Also, the Blabla Gang Member also had a cigarrette in his mouth, but that was edited too. Stupid NOA!

Music/Sounds: 9.8/10
The intro music was wonderful, the battle music was also top-notch. The Hippie battle music is very well suited to the actual premise of the battle (I like bashing Hippies with a baseball bat!). The only complaint is the classical beeps and boops that sound so, so, so very primitive.

Wonderful, just wonderful. I don't really want to spoil much of it, so how about you go out and download an NES emulator and find the rom of this game? That way, you can experience this beautiful story for yourself. All I can say is this summary:

In the early 1900's, a dark shadow covered a small town in rural America. At that time, a young married couple vanished mysteriously from their home.

The man's name was George. The woman's name was Maria.

Two years later, as suddenly as he left, George returned. He never told anyone where he had been and what he had done. But, he began an odd study, all by himself.

As for Maria, his wife...
She never returned.

80 years have passed since then.

Basic Sum Up: Wonderful.

Mother is a classic; also known as EB0 by us emulator using cheapskates. Anyways, you better use an emulator to experience this wonderful masterpiece. You will love Ninten and his allies battle against the alien Giegue, who's insanity is just unparelled; except for maybe Gigyas in EB. Yeah, Gigyas was a little more insane; what with destroying his own mind with his power and... Well, I'll stop the spoilers from leaking out. Anyways, get the ROM of this game! You'll love it forever, and don't forget the melody...