Japanese N64 and American games?

1. I'm aware that Japanese games can be played on American N64s with slight modifications to the console.

My question is... what about the opposite case? Do American games run on Japanese N64s without any problems, or do I need to modify the Japanese N64 console in this case? If modifications are necessary, could you post me a link where I can get information on such modifications?

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow - 10 years ago

Answers

1. Considering the two's almost identical architecture, you will be able to play US games on a Japanese console, however, the cartridges still have the region-locking ridges on their backsides, so you will need to either modify the console or cartridge slightly to be able to play US games.

User Info: lightmuffin4

lightmuffin4 - 6 years ago 1   0
  2. You can use a game shark to play import games on your US console

User Info: jinxx77

jinxx77 - 6 years ago 1   0
  3. Just like the American consoles, the dust cover and the Grey plastic tray surrounding the connector (where the cartridge connects) has to be removed. It will now play all region n64 games. The region protection was built into the the back half of the cartridge it's the 2 slots on the bottom. A game of a different region then the system it's trying to be used with simply can't slide all the way into the console essentially region locking it.

User Info: mrgoodwrench

mrgoodwrench - 5 years ago 0   0
  4. Alternatively you can undo the US back plate of the cartridge and switch with one of some japanese games you dont play.

I did so for 3 japanese games and they work well.

User Info: Highself

Highself - 1 year ago 1   1
  5. I Think You Have To Modify The Japenese System,But I Am Not Sure.

User Info: Rickthenerd

Rickthenerd - 10 years ago 0   1