Black screen after title screen?

1. I got a beautiful copy of Animal Forest off of eBay and popped it into my N64 via a GameShark. The title screen appeared, and I pressed start. The screen faded to black, and...
    Nothing. A blank screen for 5 minutes. I tried putting in the "Must Be On Code" on the GameShark. Same problem. I auto-detected the game. Same problem. I even sawed off the tabs of the cartridge in case the GAMESHARK was the problem, and it STILL happened. Is there anyway to fix it, or am I screwed?

User Info: NinjaNerd757

NinjaNerd757 - 4 years ago

Answers

1. That happens to mine too especially when I haven't played it in awhile. I clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, and then hunker down in front of my N64 and prepare to pop it in and out and turn it on and off a lot. I don't know what causes it exactly but I believe it is probably cartridge alignment, and unfortunately some games are just more susceptible to this more than others. Because I have lots of JP carts that I play on my NA console, with the plastic removed to accommodate the cart, and some never do the black screen and some just do. Yoshi's Island does it a lot too.

User Info: HYPERMECHA

HYPERMECHA - 8 months ago 0   0
  2. Also I wouldn't use the Gameshark to play JP carts, for any other people reading this, as it causes even more misalignment. Removing the plastic blocker thing is fairly easy to do and ensures a more snug fit. The Gameshark tends to wobble around and if you bump it slightly it can cause the game to glitch out while you're in the middle of it & you'll lose your progress since the previous save.

User Info: HYPERMECHA

HYPERMECHA - 8 months ago 0   0